You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#409117 - 04/24/17 02:05 PM [Off-Topic] fyi guitar pro 7
pghboemike Offline

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2017 everything pk both with Current builds

#409129 - 04/24/17 02:47 PM [Off-Topic] Re: fyi guitar pro 7 [Re: pghboemike]
Larry Kehl Online   content

Loc: New Mexico
upgrades, upgrades, upgrades- they never end

UPDATE to my above tongue-in-cheek reply (not so funny comment below):

it was only $30 to upgrade so I did it for grins.

However, found the same issue with the new GP7 install that finally drove me NUTS and made me leave Cakewalk (and I'm a Sonar Plat. Lifetime customer) last fall after almost 30 years with CW.

The ~1GB GP7 installer file was told to install on my D drive. It installed ~98 MB's (or 0.1 GB) on the D drive - the remaining almost 1GB (980+ MB's) of sound banks were placed on the C drive.

The sound banks were placed in C:\Program Data\.. folder but not until after the installer left bread crumbs in various c drive locations: C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder and the C:\Users\user name\app\roaming ... folders. Just too much stuff, and too many bread crumbs, spread all over the C drive bad - but not as bad as the quadruple/quintuple folders CW increasingly creates (and worse those CW folders are redundant and contain wasteful files) .

Before I get lots of suggestions about buying bigger drives: I personally have PLENTY of C drive (HDD) space, that is NOT the issue at least for me. Although, space MIGHT be an issue for others who only have small SDD C:\ boot drives (256 GB, 512GB, even 1TB SDD's could be an issue if all SW producers, due to laziness, start just placing bulk of files on the boot drive)

The real issue is : there is no, OS or otherwise, compelling design reason to not install the VAST majority of files, especially support DATA files (like sound banks), where the the user told the installer app to install. The user expects bulk of files to be placed on that directed drive - not on the boot drive.

The user should never have to resort to ini/cfg edits, registry hacks, mklink, or other intervention methods to place files & folders where the user DIRECTED they be placed during the install process.

I've already sent off email to Arobas/GP on this and hopefully, and unlike Cakewalk, they will address and modify and not ignore or blow it off as CW did.

Actually it got a little testy over at CW after soem back and forth (not so nice) posts got moved to to the "feature update request" forum and shortly thereafter they were deleted when new Bakery was started - so I finally just walked away. I figured a 28 year customer deserved a better answer then "why would you ever want to move files around?" - DUH?!! "but if do (dummy) here's some work arounds."

PS in the time it took to write this Arobas/GP has already replied that they have support request and will look at it (so +1 for them so far)

Edited by Larry Kehl (04/24/17 05:07 PM)
Win7&10 Pro 64,i7-2600k,32GB,1OTBs HDD,RX480 8GB,FW-410,MIDIplus4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7, XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,Nanosynth,SPLAT,AD2,ST3,Kontakt 5,Amptube4,way too many other VSTi's - but I'm really a guitar player

#409138 - 04/24/17 03:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: fyi guitar pro 7 [Re: pghboemike]
Pipeline Offline

Thanks ! been waiting for that, they didn't send me any notifications.

$30 for upgrade.

#409260 - 04/25/17 10:03 AM [Off-Topic] Re: fyi guitar pro 7 [Re: pghboemike]
jford Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Larry -

I'm sure you already realize this, but if you use Command Center to install the Sonar products, the default setting is a silent install and everything ends up on the C: drive. You can turn that off and then it will do a verbose install. Until I found this out, I would just use Command Center to tell me what needed updating, then go to the webpage and update manually. Afterwards, I can do it all through Command Center now.

Of course, to do that you first have to uninstall everything (I use Revo Uninstaller for things like this) to reset all the default locations), because once installed, it will grey out and install to the previously installed locations (except for your VST location).

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#409268 - 04/25/17 11:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: fyi guitar pro 7 [Re: jford]
Larry Kehl Online   content

Loc: New Mexico

Yes, I knew about the verbose mode but I don't (didn't) use CCC anyway; remember, the very first version of CCC did not have a “Verbose mode” so I left CCC in the dust right off the bat.

I won’t rant here about Sonar (this isn’t a Sonar forum) but just for fun do a thorough check of how many Cakewalk folders you have on C:\ and check the sub-directories and contents in EACH one. Then compare that content to all the other CW folders on C: \. Remember, all of those folders (except one) are there even if you tell Sonar to install on a different DRIVE; a lot of redundancy. Yes, most are small files and you may think “mountain-molehill” paranoia; but there is no reason for it.

I won’t write a tome on why I finally walked away in November – but it ends with: it’s not the Greg Hendershott CW company I started with in 1989, there are other very good DAW’s out here so why put up with attitude.

I will monitor - since I've already paid for lifetime SPLAT - but I doubt I'll be returning (or recommending)

Edited by Larry Kehl (04/25/17 11:46 AM)
Edit Reason: nits and nats
Win7&10 Pro 64,i7-2600k,32GB,1OTBs HDD,RX480 8GB,FW-410,MIDIplus4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7, XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,Nanosynth,SPLAT,AD2,ST3,Kontakt 5,Amptube4,way too many other VSTi's - but I'm really a guitar player

PG Music News
New Video - Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the Flash Drive Tutorial

When you order directly from us, there's an option to have your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK installation files sent to you on a flash drive (instead of DVD).
(this option appears during the check-out process)

We've created this handy tutorial video to walk you through the installation process:

Guitar Riffs Solo Lesson - YouTube Find (EricBlackmonGuitar)

Check out EricBlackmonGuitar's latest video, QUIK LICKS #14 Guitar Riffs Solo Lesson EricBlackmonGuitar HQ, where he not only teached a great guitar riff, but he also repeats that lick over a Band-in-a-Box backing track... what a great way to show how Band-in-a-Box is ideal for backing tracks!

Video link:

Thank you Eric!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Cleaned-up BB folder!

It's the first day of spring today, which means it's time to start spring cleaning!

We cleaned up the BB folder with our release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018. Over the years, this folder has been growing - there were up to 10,000 files in there! We've fixed this and put the files into various folders. This is done with a cleanup routine. The cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually by selecting the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine.

The cleanup routine does the following:
-Moves Styles files (.STY/.STX) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Styles.
-Moves Soloists files (.ST2/.XT2) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Soloists.
-Moves various Demo folders to C:\Demos.
-Moves various songs and lessons folders to C:\bb\Songs and Lessons.
-Moves various files essential for running Band-in-a-Box to C:\bb\Data and C:\bb\Data\Lib.
-Moves various preferences files to C:\bb\Preferences.
-Moves tutorial demo songs, program manuals (.pdf), and the help file (.chm) to C:\bb\Documentation.

Oliver Gannon Interview - Appointed to the Order of Canada!

Oliver Gannon (Peter Gannon's brother), was appointed to the Order of Canada in recognition for "his achievements as a musician" on December 29, 2017!

Oliver recently sat for an interview with CBC's Hot Air host Margaret Gallagher - read a summary and listen to the interview at

'I don't know ... why they chose me. But I'm very glad and I'm not giving it back'
-Oliver Gannon

To be clear, and avoid any confusion, there are two brothers: Peter Gannon is the "Band-in-a-Box" PG Music guy, and Oliver Gannon is the jazz guitarist who just won the Order of Canada.

#Monday Motivation - Free Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Want to snag yourself a free Band-in-a-Box® hard drive? Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at

User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

Forum Stats
27257 Members
49 Forums
50734 Topics
417559 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Apeckover2, RandallSmith, fingers55, Mjolnnir, BigRd

27257 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 178
Matt Finley 173