Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#447459 - 12/27/17 08:08 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: pghboemike]
jford Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I've seen Liberty DeVito play with Billy Joel in concert and he pounds the hell out of those drums, but it sounds great.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#449824 - 01/07/18 09:24 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: pghboemike]
JoanneCooper Offline

Loc: South Africa
Just watched the documentary on Netflix on Rush. What a great documentary. So interesting to watch such a hard working band of “nerds”. You would never think that a rock band could consist of nerds! Completely devoted to each other.

Such talented musicians just sticking to their guns. Fascinating. Was never into their music but have now downloaded their albums am going to give them a listen. Incredible lyrics.

#449843 - 01/08/18 03:01 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: pghboemike]
Le Miz Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
So this is the thread that won't die.

Thanks for starting it Mike!

I also love music documentaries, and have seen most of those mentioned here. Most of those I enjoyed.

Here are two of my favorites not mentioned by posters. Both are available on youtube.

The first is probably my favorite music documentary. It lasts just under 27 minutes. It was made by the Canadian government !!!

"Lonely Boy" is about Paul Anka, who was born and grew up in Ottawa.

Like many documentaries that set out to attractively feature the artist or group, it does that. But it also shows some very interesting sides to Anka's personality (he's under 21) and especially unveils his manager Irving Feld.

I'm sure Irving Feld has passed away now, but he's who I would wish was my manager.

He's over-the-top, really enthusiastic about Paul. He's planning for Paul's career when he's grown. Clearly he was also honest. (!!!) (That's UNUSUAL!)

I don't think it's coincidental that Anka has had a 6 decade career and is rich.

(After Ray Charles signed with ABC-Paramount, Irving Feld became his manager too. Ray Charles had a nearly 6 decade career, ended by his death, and became rich despite having serious drug habits.)

But none of that is what makes this my favorite music documentary. It's the footage devoted to the fans, almost entirely girls. I've never seen anything like it. There's an intimacy between the camera and the young women. Of course, like everyone else, I've seen thousands of video shots of fainting, screaming girls (Elvis, Beatles, etc.).

In this one you can watch these women melt, slowly. At first the guys (brothers, dates, fathers) are watching the girls. But they get sucked in too.

The cops initially (especially the older ones) are watching the audience (their job). Within a few minutes, they're too fixated on Anka.

For a brief time, they cut the PA sound and you hear only the sound in the audience. (I love that!)

Maybe the best moment: Paul gets a girl on stage and sings to her. While he's doing this, you get to see the girls in the audience, each one dying, wishing that girl was her.

For me, the fact the these girls (at least the ones still with us) are in their 70's (older than me) is mind blowing.

I try to remember this documentary when I see latest greatest teen idol berated as a lightweight. I'm continually amazed at the power of music.

(If this seems effusive, it's because I found the video on the internet and watched it again. The things I liked about it seemed even better than when I last saw it over a decade ago.)

The second documentary is about someone I'd never heard of. (I've never lived in Los Angeles.)

"The Mayor Of Sunset Strip" is about a disc jockey, Rodney Bingenheimer. A large portion of the doc is also about Kim Fowley, who I did know about. I regarded him as a talented music producer and an extreme degenerate.

The documentary addressed part of his musical "talent"; my opinion was unchanged. As to my opinion of him as an extreme degenerate, after this documentary, I feel I was much too kind. (Kim Fowley has passed away.)

This one depresses me, and makes me sad.

The number and variety of musical artists in this film is staggering. (Probably, the most I've ever seen in a documentary. I'm excluding Ken Burns multipart PBS series "Jazz", that is also one of the best I've ever seen. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)

This documentary shows how the music business (that's BUSINESS) sucks people in, and spits them out.

If I had a child 12 or above who wanted to be a professional musician, I would would sit down with my child and watch it. (Nowadays, I would probably be arrested for child abuse, but I would risk it.) I would want my child to know what to avoid. (You can't assume your child will end up with an Irving Feld.)

Heartbreaking but excellent. "Lonely Boy"

NSFW "The Mayor of The Sunset Strip"

#450016 - 01/08/18 10:43 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: Le Miz]
Ryszard Offline

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
I have three exceptional examples saved to DVR. The links point to IMDb entries which give media-centric information. They occasionally appear on YouTube, and I have provided links if I could find them; however, they are ephemeral.

Soundbreaking: Going Electric.

The series is a documentary about various aspects of contemporary music history. “Going Electric” focuses on electronic music, particularly the development of the electronic synthesizer, and absolutely transformed my understanding of the subject. It centered on two geniuses who created a massive analog synth called Tonto and what Stevie Wonder did with it. His album Songs In The Key Of Life was part of the transformative result. There is much more, all of which I found fascinating.

[Trailer only]

The Beatles: Sgt Pepper’s Musical Revolution

Musicologist Howard Goodall takes us through the creation and recording of the revolutionary album, with history and cultural insights I was unaware of, and illustrating musical concepts which I was intuitively aware of, but hadn’t thought through fully, on keyboard. There is narration, interviews, early videos, and more.

David Gilmour: Wider Horizons

[From IMDb] “Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour discusses his childhood, family life, early career and process for the creation of his fourth solo album Rattle That Lock.” I have always been fascinated by the sounds of Pink Floyd and the creative processes behind them. It was a huge revelation to learn that his wife is the author of the evocative lyrics in many of his songs. We also get a look inside his floating studio, which came into existence as a Victorian-era private concert hall.

Edited by Ryszard (01/08/18 10:53 PM)
"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."

#450164 - 01/09/18 02:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: Ryszard]
Don Gaynor Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
A very important family in Country music was The Carter Family.

Mother Maybelle wrote the guitar tune "Wildwood Flower" which is learned by many guitarists somewhere along their learning process.

I composed "Maybelle" in her memory along with the beautiful guitar work of forum mate ROG in the UK.

#450188 - 01/09/18 04:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: pghboemike]
lambada Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Not necessarily classics, but last week I watched:
Keith Richards: Under the influence (interesting and fun - not finished watching yet)
Gaga:Five Foot Two (I really enjoyed this although I found her a little sad - seriously likable but remarkably insecure lady)
Quartet (Beautiful movie - maybe a little sensitive for this forum!:-))
Whitney: Can I Be Me (The perils of being at the top - fast living and everyday acceptance of vast amounts of drugs and booze on a lady who seemed to be a lovely person who was destined for fame with her family pedigree.)

I enjoyed them all.

Edited by lambada (01/09/18 04:30 PM)
Windows 10 Home insider preview (Evaluation) Build 17083
BIAB 2018 (Build 510)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#450453 - 01/11/18 03:21 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: pghboemike]
pghboemike Offline

Documentary on the birth and emergence of the soul music industry in the late 1950's, along the 12-block stretch of Chicago's South Michigan Avenue known as "Record Row."
Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2017 everything pk both with Current builds

#452389 - 01/20/18 07:57 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: pghboemike]
Don Gaynor Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Roger Miller - King Of The Road

#452408 - 01/20/18 10:05 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: Don Gaynor]
VideoTrack Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Excellent article, Donny.
I enjoyed that.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#452446 - 01/20/18 12:01 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: JoanneCooper]
rockstar_not Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Just watched the documentary on Netflix on Rush. What a great documentary. So interesting to watch such a hard working band of “nerds”. You would never think that a rock band could consist of nerds! Completely devoted to each other.

Such talented musicians just sticking to their guns. Fascinating. Was never into their music but have now downloaded their albums am going to give them a listen. Incredible lyrics.

Joanne, there probably isn't another 3 person rock band in history where two of the members would be listed in the top 5 on their instruments by others that play the same. Alex Lifeson doesn't get the credit he deserves for staying out of the way of Neil Peart and Geddy Lee. Had he had the intricate melodic chops of the other two (yes, Neil Peart is a 'melodic' drummer), the music of Rush probably would have gotten too crowded and kept them mostly under the radar. Think Dream Theater for too many virtuosos in a single band. Yep, you probably haven't heard of them.

Some of Rush's lyrics are borne out of fantasy literature wannabe behavior, but others are incredibly prescient, or at least, perceptive social commentary. The one that sticks out in my mind the most is 'Subdivisions': Circa 1982

Sprawling on the fringes of the city
In geometric order
An insulated border
In between the bright lights
And the far unlit unknown

Growing up it all seems so one-sided
Opinions all provided
The future pre-decided
Detached and subdivided
In the mass production zone
Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone

Subdivisions --
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out
Subdivisions --
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out
Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth

Drawn like moths we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory
Of lighted streets on quiet nights

Subdivisions --
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out
Subdivisions --
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out

Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth

#452495 - 01/20/18 04:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: pghboemike]
sslechta Online   content

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Love that song!

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win10, Dell Precision T5400, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 32 GB Memory, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface

#456040 - 02/06/18 01:23 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Your Favourite Music Documentaries [Re: pghboemike]
robsmusic Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Thunder Soul

Presented by Jamie Foxx, 'Thunder Soul' follows the extraordinary alumni from Houston's storied Kashmere High School Stage Band, who return home after 35 years to play a tribute concert for the 92-year-old "Prof," their beloved band leader who broke the color barrier and transformed the school's struggling jazz band into a world-class funk powerhouse in the early 1970s.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

PG Music News
User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

#TBT - Automatic Soloing in Band-in-a-Box® 7!

Band-in-a-Box® 7 included some great new features - like Automatic Soloing! This introduced program users to the powerful Soloist capabilities of Band-in-a-Box®, which also includes the Soloist Maker.

Automatic Soloing!
Pick any song or chords in any style, and choose a "soloist." Band-in-a-Box® then creates and plays a professional quality solo in the style of your choice. Previous versions of Band-in-a-Box created great accompaniment. Now you can hear sensational solos as well - showing you exactly what notes are played. Choose from "soloists" in the style similar to great Jazz musicians such as Django Reinhardt, John Coltrane, or Country/Pop soloists and others, or create your own soloists using the "Soloist Maker."

Soloist Maker
This module allows you to define your own soloists. For example, let's say you want to create a soloist in a style similar to the style of "John Coltrane" - the great Jazz saxophonist. The Soloist Maker allows you to define the parameters essential to Coltrane's playing, such as instrument range (i.e. tenor saxophone), extra legato playing, playing more on top of the beat than typical Jazz musicians, and playing straighter 8th notes than usual Swing 8th notes. Also, you can set phrasing options, such as how long the phrase should be and how much "space" to leave between phrases. You can also set how "outside" the playing should be. In the case of a John Coltrane style - you set that to the maximum! Then "turn him loose" and hear the soloist play over any song!

Review all of the features added with Band-in-a-Box® 7:

#TechTipTuesday - Opening MIDI Tracks in PowerTracks Pro Audio

Open your MIDI file in PowerTracks Pro Audio (or RealBand), and you'll see the instruments separated onto their own track - an excellent way to hear all the instruments individually for that song, and a great way to learn!

There's no trick to it either - just use the File | Open dialog, locate the MIDI file, and click [Open].

Note: Type 0 MIDI files have all channels on one track, and should ask whether you want to separate them. If you accidentally chooses no, hit Edit - MIDI - Extract Channels to Tracks. Typically, Type 1 MIDI files have the instruments automatically separated.

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows we also released 202 NEW RealTracks, including 8 Sets (68 RealTracks) for Rock-Pop!

Learn more about these and listen to demos:

RealPAK 14: Rock-Pop includes:
RealTracks Set 286: Pop & Rock Guitars with Brent & Joe
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter - Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 288: Southern Pop Drums with Land Richards
RealTracks Set 289: Fretless Bass, Pop Keys, and Punk Drums
RealTracks Set 290: More Pop Percussion Singles
RealTracks Set 291: Modern Dancehall
RealTracks Set 292: Klezmer!
RealTracks Set 293: A Taste of Europe - France, Italy, and Sweden

Purchasing the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 PlusPAK, UltraPAK, or Audiophile Edition? These new Rock-PopRealTracks are already included!
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro and MegaPAK customers interested in adding these to their collection can purchase RealPAK 14: Rock-Pop for just $79 at

Audio Edit Window Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, the Audio Edit Window GUI has been updated to include a dedicated settings button and a Marker Mode button. Plus, editing features can now be applied to the entire track (if no specific region is highlighted).

We've also added the following items to the Edit button within the Audio Edit Window:

Paste (Mix) - This will mix the audio from the clipboard with the existing audio instead of overwriting it. You will be given the option to set the percentage of the existing audio to keep and the pasted audio to mix in.
Paste (Insert) - This will insert the audio from the clipboard to the current location, instead of overwriting the existing audio. The audio to the right of the insertion point will be shifted to make room for the new audio.
Delete - This will delete the selected region of audio.
Insert Silence - This will insert silence at the cursor. The duration of the silence inserted will be equal to the duration of the selected region.
Convert Channels - If the audio is stereo, this will convert it to mono. If it’s mono, this will convert it to stereo. You will be given the option to set the percentage of the left and right channels to include.
Harmonize - This will launch the Audio Harmony dialog, which can be used to harmonize the selected region of audio.
Transcribe - This will transcribe the audio to the Melody or Soloist track.
Fix Tuning - This will automatically correct the tuning of the selected region according to the key of your song. For example, in the key of C, if a C# is detected then it will be transposed down to C or up to D depending on which one is closer.

YouTube Find - Tools to Improve Your Music Composition

My secret weapon is Band-in-a-Box...
Brian Johnston

Brian explains why we're his secret weapon in this great article: Improving Music Composition Diversity

And he even created the following video: Tools to Improve Your Music Composition

Forum Stats
27231 Members
49 Forums
50659 Topics
416748 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
prems, Ivan, riposte, WebMonks, Leo Baeta

27229 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 182
VideoTrack 157