Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#448231 - 12/31/17 10:45 AM [User Showcase] Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS
aleck rand Offline
Expert

What's better than a RealDrummer? How about two RealDrummers ... or even three. Each playing the same style at the same tempo. Here's a trick I often use to add more dynamics to rhythmic patterns using, in this case, one RealDrum track (of the Jazz Funk Movin'/Groovin' variety). Make a copy of your RealDrum track, located one track down but otherwise aligned with the original in the track above.

The trick: Slide or shift the second track to the right a certain number of beats. Trial and error, the way various test runs sound, rhythmic intuition, etc. are the most natural methods for shifting the second track. There are mathematical methods to make this determination. You'll be amazed when you hit that "sweet spot" and new rhythmic excitement and complexity jump out at you.

This original composition uses the method to create a multi-directional drum track that deliberately makes it hard to find "one" but still drives the tune forward. I like to do harmonically complex tunes that are out of the range of BIAB's instrumental tracks. So I wind up playing all the (real) instruments except the drums, at which point RealDrums become indispensable. There is an interesting back story, found on the destination page, to the title

.................................SOLARIS

#448283 - 12/31/17 04:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: aleck rand]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Hi Dean. So glad to hear from you. Happy New Year..

What a cool song. Really loved the texture to all the different sounds. Especially the guitar. Loved what you did with the drums as well.

#448291 - 12/31/17 05:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: Scott C]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Scott, Happy New Year my friend. Enjoy the view from Solaris. Make a resolution to read Lem's novelette this year.

Dean

PS I kind of went off the deep end in the reply to Torrey and wonder of any of it sounds familiar or if you've thought along these lines yourself.

Edited by aleck rand (01/01/18 11:22 AM)

#448318 - 12/31/17 07:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: aleck rand]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Hi Dean, this is great.

When this started I immediately thought of Miles and Coltrane. Then you brought in a John McLaughlin and Jan Hammer. You also have a few Billy Cobhams playing also. All of them were under the direction of Zappa.

This is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - 2017 BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#448407 - 01/01/18 08:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: aleck rand]
Torrey Bliss Online   content
Expert

Loc: Missouri
Wonderful, exquisite and extremely well performed Jazz Aleck!! An artist that came to my mind as I listened to this was John McLaughlin! I always feel like just putting the guitar back in the case when I hear material done as well as this (Just kidding)! Thanks for posting, it's a tremendous inspiration to a lot of us out here! Have a great 2018! Thanks, Torrey
https://torreybliss.hearnow.com/

#448429 - 01/01/18 10:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: MarioD]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Mari-o, my man

Been a while, too long really. Before anything, have a healthy and creative new year and if you can get to read Lem's novelette, Solaris, that would be good too. If you ever wanted to read a writer whose imagination outruns reality from the git, then Lem is your man.

Otherwise, your compliments are such a kick for me to get the new year off to a running start. My compositional skills are not that great but every once in a blue moon I'll have ideas come into my head. They seem to appear out of nowhere, not based on anything I've recently heard, and are more like instructions given by the tune in order to compose itself.

Solaris is the best example I can give of one of these rare events. When it's done, I listen to it and ask, "Did I do that?" And if it's good, I know it. But the names you bring in - McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, Zappa - go beyond the class of just "good." Deep thanks, my friend.

PS you may find interesting my reply to Torrey, about two schools of thought in improvising. I wonder if it makes sense and you've thought along these lines yourself.

Edited by aleck rand (01/01/18 11:23 AM)

#448431 - 01/01/18 11:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: Torrey Bliss]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Wow! Torrey, such a profound compliment.

We could probably have a good back and forth about McLaughlin and two schools of thought on improvisation: melodists versus formalists Wes was the supreme melodist. Each phrase was a beautifully shaped, coherent, melodic idea pointing to the next idea. You could sing Wes's solos. He coudln't read and certainly didn't know much about modes and exotic scales. Basically, his mental map of the instrument was so perfect that he just used it as another voice to sing with. This leaves out all the other original things about the guy: the thumb, the octaves, the impossible chord solos. Even with the thumb Wes could go fast when he wanted too.

But not nearly as fast as McLaughlin, formalist supreme. By my definition, formalists rely much more on scales, modes, geometric patterns on the guitar, graphs drawn in the circle of fifths and other devices that may or may not translate into melodic ideas. If I'm right on this, McLaughlin himself shouldn't know how his playing will sound until after he plays it. When you can play that fast it almost doesn't matter, either a note is right or is an approach note to something right. What really needs to be right is the setup of the larger geometric blocks or other structures riding on the changes.

Pat Martino, probably my favorite of all time, plays both sides. He uses formal patterns which turn out the baadest licks ever heard on the instrument.

Somehow or other you're supposed to find the right combination that brings out your own unique voice. Yeah, right. No one tells you that finding this voice is a sure thing, or might take two lifetimes or you might find it and - surprise1 - you don't like it! Bummer. I've found my own voice at least 47 times. So I know what those "into the case, then into the fireplace" moments are like.

I didn't expect this to be so long, but you mentioned McLaughin and paid me a deep compliment. Thank you. I hope 2018 finds your voice honed to just the way you like it.

Edited by aleck rand (01/01/18 11:23 AM)

#448476 - 01/01/18 03:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: aleck rand]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi dean great stuff here its all about the timing awesome work the horns your guitar work well done great listen thanks eric

#448585 - 01/02/18 06:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: F.M.M.]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hey Eric, Happy New Year,

I'm glad you liked this tune and thanks for the kind worda. Not for everybody, but I'm glad to get any listeners with the ears to hear what's happening and possibly use the trick of offsetting real drum tracks.

Dean

#448771 - 01/03/18 06:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: aleck rand]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Good to see you posting again. I've always admired the complexities, melodic phrases and improvisation of your work. I don't know much about McLaughlin,Miles and Coltrane or Billy Cobhams and I get a type of music may not be for everybody, but I admire anyone who is the best at what they do and I totally appreciate your work. There are many others like me judging from the comments on the SoundCloud post.

I'm also a fan of BIAB tricks and will dive in and see what I can do with of offsetting real drum tracks.

Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

#448781 - 01/03/18 06:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: aleck rand]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, brother !:))

There ain´t noone
around that could do
anything even close
to this ! You are
in a league of your
own and we love it
all of us !:))

Cheers
Dani

#449292 - 01/05/18 11:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: aleck rand]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
WOW!!!! WOW!!!! WOW!!!!, And a WHOA!!! on top of that!! This is more than "fun and games". What a cool, imaginative, thrill-ride of a tune. I've really missed having you around the forum Dean, and SOOOO Happy for your return. Happy New Year, and don't be a stranger!!! Take care. Greg

#449442 - 01/06/18 04:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: aleck rand]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Dean, I'm glad you're back. It sure sounds like you've healed up nicely. This is such a challenge to my ears. Since it is somewhat outside my genre I have to work at listening. I always enjoy what you post and it has broaden my musical horizons. I enjoyed your explanation of improvisation. Nice little trick with the offset drum tracks. Again you have shown your expertise on multiple instruments. You are a great player and arranger! Wishing you well in the new year, Tom

#449873 - 01/08/18 07:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: Charlie Fogle]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hey Charlie,

You must know more about McLaughlin than you think because I see his double neck Gibson iyour pic! Except his wasn't white. I never took away much from him except that he was real faaaaaaaaast. Then I began to notice that you could pick any of his solos and start anywhere and you'd hear roughly the same thing on every tune. Billy Cobham was a thundering drummer that seemed to fit the approach of McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. About Miles: I saw a movie called Miles Ahead, produced and directed by and starring Don Cheadle. The merciless picture of him must be an exaggeration. No one could be that hostile and have any energy left over for, say, playing the trumpet.

Your kind remarks are appreciated and so is your willingness to bear with some fairly "outside" music. Thank you.
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#449917 - 01/08/18 11:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fun and Games with RealDrums: SOLARIS [Re: dani48]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

DAANNIII!

I never figured out how to handle over the top compliments like this. Thank you just doesn't seem to do the job and you would think that the English language, with its gigantic vocabulary, would have a better selection of choices. But it doesn't, so it's thank you ... very much. Anyway, you look terrific in your "new" pic (since I haven't been here in a while, it's new to me) and it's great that you're still composing, playing and posting. I suppose we'll never stop. I've decided not to do covers except on SoundCloud and since my compositional skills are not so great I'll have to distribute carefully the originals I have created.

Best of everything to you Dani in the new year

Dean
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Forum Stats
26964 Members
49 Forums
49703 Topics
406853 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Kare Synnes, DrPersson, kenastill, Maulanarajatkhan, John Ashton

26963 Registered Users