Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#457075 - 02/11/18 03:26 PM [Songwriting] Re: Call Me Biased [Re: Belladonna]
Belladonna Offline

Loc: Virginia
Yes, I think we can all acknowledge that there are gold stars in every genre, instrumental and lyrics enhanced. No one can rain on the parade of the outstanding instrumentalists who bring such emotion and prominence to their songs. I guess what I have a hard time with is more mediocre instrumentalists who put a title to their work, which maybe is the setting that inspired them, but I don't feel it or get it. Not that it's wrong and I certainly appreciate everyone's effort to make music. It's just that an instrumental title of Rain on the Mountains or something makes me question why? I don't get that and being a lyricist I feel it's not complete and something's missing to enable me to get the complete feeling. I mainly feel that great vocals and lyrics add a lot to instrumental music, unless you are sooooo good that you don't need it like Herb Alpert, Stevie Rae Vaughn, Hendrix, etc. As a lyricist lately so appreciating the work of Jimmy Webb and Harlan Harlan, also more currently Bob Seeger, James Taylor the marriage of music and lyrics. But so nice to hear everyone's take on it. To be honest, my husband of many years confessed to me he mostly likes instrumentals and I am a dancer and gravitate towards that as a dancer. But I am a poet and love lyrics.

Edited by Belladonna (02/11/18 03:28 PM)

#457261 - 02/13/18 02:11 AM [Songwriting] Re: Call Me Biased [Re: Belladonna]
lambada Online   embarrased

Loc: Hong Kong
I'm really enjoying acoustic versions of various hits (Rock, R & B, Chart Pop). They can be very refreshing and highlight good songs regardless of stylistic embellishments. As for instrumentals, apart from classical music, I'd go for Pink Floyd amongst others.
Windows 10 Home insider preview (Evaluation) Build 17083
BIAB 2018 (Build 510)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#457306 - 02/13/18 07:06 AM [Songwriting] Re: Call Me Biased [Re: lambada]
MarioD Offline

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: lambada
I'm really enjoying acoustic versions of various hits (Rock, R & B, Chart Pop). They can be very refreshing and highlight good songs regardless of stylistic embellishments. As for instrumentals, apart from classical music, I'd go for Pink Floyd amongst others.

If you enjoy classical and like Pocol Harum then you might like this version of Whiter Shade of Pale:
Yesterday I walked into a room and remembered why I was there! It was the bathroom!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#457585 - 02/14/18 03:01 PM [Songwriting] Re: Call Me Biased [Re: Belladonna]
Belladonna Offline

Loc: Virginia
Hey Bud, Love, love, love the Allman Brothers instrumentals. Yes, it if the soul emotion can be transported to the listener, it's definitely a winner.

#461155 - 03/08/18 09:49 AM [Songwriting] Re: Call Me Biased [Re: Belladonna]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I love both instrumentals and songs with a heavy focus on lyrics. I don't think I would ever personally choose one over the other. I think I have just as many instrumentals in my musical library as I do songs with lyrics.

For me, I find that instrumentals are just as inspiring as as songs with lyrics, but the big difference with instrumentals is that you can let your mind wander and explore the music and see what kind of imagery springs forth from it (I use instrumentals as inspiration when I do abstract paintings). I also use instrumentals as a mood adjuster.

Some of my favourite instrumentals are by Hungry Ghosts, but I also really enjoy Beyond This Moment by Patrick O'hearn. I actually put it on loop, personally. I find it really helps me to relax and helps soothe me after a long day when I can't sleep. Almost like an adult lullaby, I suppose!

But I love, love, love lyrics. You can definitely find your own meaning in lyrics as well for sure and can connect with lyrics in a way that makes you feel like someone else out there gets you, but there is usually a very specific idea or inspiration or meaning behind the lyrics that the original writer had intended. I am sure that this is also the case with some instrumentals, but I feel like there is a bit more room with an instrumental song for the self-insertion of the listener.

That's just my two cents on the subject of instrumental versus a song with lyrics, though!

Edited by Ember - PG Music (03/08/18 09:50 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
New Video - Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the Flash Drive Tutorial

When you order directly from us, there's an option to have your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK installation files sent to you on a flash drive (instead of DVD).
(this option appears during the check-out process)

We've created this handy tutorial video to walk you through the installation process:

Guitar Riffs Solo Lesson - YouTube Find (EricBlackmonGuitar)

Check out EricBlackmonGuitar's latest video, QUIK LICKS #14 Guitar Riffs Solo Lesson EricBlackmonGuitar HQ, where he not only teached a great guitar riff, but he also repeats that lick over a Band-in-a-Box backing track... what a great way to show how Band-in-a-Box is ideal for backing tracks!

Video link:

Thank you Eric!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Cleaned-up BB folder!

It's the first day of spring today, which means it's time to start spring cleaning!

We cleaned up the BB folder with our release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018. Over the years, this folder has been growing - there were up to 10,000 files in there! We've fixed this and put the files into various folders. This is done with a cleanup routine. The cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually by selecting the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine.

The cleanup routine does the following:
-Moves Styles files (.STY/.STX) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Styles.
-Moves Soloists files (.ST2/.XT2) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Soloists.
-Moves various Demo folders to C:\Demos.
-Moves various songs and lessons folders to C:\bb\Songs and Lessons.
-Moves various files essential for running Band-in-a-Box to C:\bb\Data and C:\bb\Data\Lib.
-Moves various preferences files to C:\bb\Preferences.
-Moves tutorial demo songs, program manuals (.pdf), and the help file (.chm) to C:\bb\Documentation.

Oliver Gannon Interview - Appointed to the Order of Canada!

Oliver Gannon (Peter Gannon's brother), was appointed to the Order of Canada in recognition for "his achievements as a musician" on December 29, 2017!

Oliver recently sat for an interview with CBC's Hot Air host Margaret Gallagher - read a summary and listen to the interview at

'I don't know ... why they chose me. But I'm very glad and I'm not giving it back'
-Oliver Gannon

To be clear, and avoid any confusion, there are two brothers: Peter Gannon is the "Band-in-a-Box" PG Music guy, and Oliver Gannon is the jazz guitarist who just won the Order of Canada.

#Monday Motivation - Free Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Want to snag yourself a free Band-in-a-Box® hard drive? Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at

User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

Forum Stats
27258 Members
49 Forums
50734 Topics
417562 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Apeckover2, RandallSmith, fingers55, Mjolnnir, BigRd

27257 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 178
Matt Finley 173