You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#456843 - 02/10/18 02:14 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] hi fi amplifier gone...
beatmaster Offline

Was wondering what hi fi amplifiers you guys use as I need to replace mine.

any advice or recommendations...?

Anybody know or own an arcam make they sound good any info would be appreciated as I am about to purchase a.s.a.p.

Edited by beatmaster (02/10/18 02:19 PM)
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.

#456919 - 02/11/18 04:17 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: hi fi amplifier gone... [Re: beatmaster]
BlueAttitude Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I have a NAD Stereo amp here. I love it, very old school approach.

I've had it for 15 years or so, just checked and it looks like they are still around, here is a newer version of the one I have:

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: The Traveller

#456923 - 02/11/18 05:11 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: hi fi amplifier gone... [Re: beatmaster]
Notes Norton Offline

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
I've got a probably >35 year old Marantz. It still sounds great. I don't know if their new stuff is as good, not at good, or even better than their old amps.

My audiophile friend has a McIntosh tube amp, and a McIntosh tube preamp, and I must admit, they sound great.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#457339 - 02/13/18 10:01 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: hi fi amplifier gone... [Re: beatmaster]
Guitarhacker Offline

I have an old JVC. I bought it when I was a young man in my early 20's so that means I've had it for over 40 years and it keeps on rocking. I think it puts out a solid honest 30 watts per stereo channel. It will wake the neighbors as the saying goes.

I run a pair of Cerwin Vega 10" speakers on it. Of course the CV's fell apart many years ago.... they have a very thin rubber/neoprene surround that can't deal with the NC heat and humidity and literally fell apart after about 15 years.... so I replaced them with brand new Carvin branded guitar speakers....they sound good.... the CV's were more expensive to recone than buying totally new speakers.
You can find my music at:

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#457356 - 02/13/18 11:06 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: hi fi amplifier gone... [Re: beatmaster]
jford Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I've currently got a stereo-only Onkyo with dual tape deck monitoring capability, a bunch of inputs including a true pre-amp phono input (a lot of receivers today expect the turntable to do the pre-amp work before sending the signal to the receiver), and A/B stereo speaker outputs. I've been very happy with it. I don't need surround sound; I just need to be able to listen to my vinyl record albums, cassette tapes, and CDs. It has AM/FM and the ability to do XMRadio; however, I don't use that in the house.

I've also still got my Pioneer 30-watt receiver that I bought back in 1979. It still works like a champ. I would use it, but the Onkyo has more capacity for inputs (since I also plug computers in now).

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#457405 - 02/13/18 02:17 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: hi fi amplifier gone... [Re: beatmaster]
beatmaster Offline

Thanks all for your input I do love the old amps though it is the age thing, now my old jvc ja-s22 has gone.

I am toying with going to a newer amp, but there are some nice vintage ones going on the bay .

Decisions , Decisions.
win 10 64 bit 16gb, ssd 500gb, Alesis multimix8 usb,ketron sd 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.

#457436 - 02/13/18 04:20 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: hi fi amplifier gone... [Re: beatmaster]
jazzmammal Offline

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
You didn't include where you're located but here in LA you can find anything you want pretty much at any time. I picked up a nice SAE receiver a few years ago, sounds great for my vinyl collection.

The older we all get I have my doubts if it really matters that much any more between good vintage stuff and a brand new Denon 7.1 surround amp. The problem with vintage is if it hasn't been completely rebuilt you may not be hearing the best it can do anyway and used modern amps are readily available at good prices.

One I wish I had back though was a Fisher 800c that I traded for a Fender Dual Showman head. I needed a real stage amp to power my chopped Leslie and I was totally broke. In the early 70's it was probably a fair trade.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA1XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
New Video - Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the Flash Drive Tutorial

When you order directly from us, there's an option to have your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK installation files sent to you on a flash drive (instead of DVD).
(this option appears during the check-out process)

We've created this handy tutorial video to walk you through the installation process:

Guitar Riffs Solo Lesson - YouTube Find (EricBlackmonGuitar)

Check out EricBlackmonGuitar's latest video, QUIK LICKS #14 Guitar Riffs Solo Lesson EricBlackmonGuitar HQ, where he not only teached a great guitar riff, but he also repeats that lick over a Band-in-a-Box backing track... what a great way to show how Band-in-a-Box is ideal for backing tracks!

Video link:

Thank you Eric!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Cleaned-up BB folder!

It's the first day of spring today, which means it's time to start spring cleaning!

We cleaned up the BB folder with our release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018. Over the years, this folder has been growing - there were up to 10,000 files in there! We've fixed this and put the files into various folders. This is done with a cleanup routine. The cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually by selecting the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine.

The cleanup routine does the following:
-Moves Styles files (.STY/.STX) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Styles.
-Moves Soloists files (.ST2/.XT2) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Soloists.
-Moves various Demo folders to C:\Demos.
-Moves various songs and lessons folders to C:\bb\Songs and Lessons.
-Moves various files essential for running Band-in-a-Box to C:\bb\Data and C:\bb\Data\Lib.
-Moves various preferences files to C:\bb\Preferences.
-Moves tutorial demo songs, program manuals (.pdf), and the help file (.chm) to C:\bb\Documentation.

Oliver Gannon Interview - Appointed to the Order of Canada!

Oliver Gannon (Peter Gannon's brother), was appointed to the Order of Canada in recognition for "his achievements as a musician" on December 29, 2017!

Oliver recently sat for an interview with CBC's Hot Air host Margaret Gallagher - read a summary and listen to the interview at

'I don't know ... why they chose me. But I'm very glad and I'm not giving it back'
-Oliver Gannon

To be clear, and avoid any confusion, there are two brothers: Peter Gannon is the "Band-in-a-Box" PG Music guy, and Oliver Gannon is the jazz guitarist who just won the Order of Canada.

#Monday Motivation - Free Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Want to snag yourself a free Band-in-a-Box® hard drive? Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at

User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

Forum Stats
27258 Members
49 Forums
50734 Topics
417562 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Apeckover2, RandallSmith, fingers55, Mjolnnir, BigRd

27257 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 178
Matt Finley 173