You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#460565 - 03/05/18 05:32 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Over use of effects in songs
cliftond Offline

Loc: Alabama
When I first started recording songs in about 1990, I had a tascam cassette 8 track recorder, it was new at the time around 2000.00 and i was a true newbie at recording. I was trying to do all sorts of things with it, and bought an alesis effects unit with all the goodies. Every song that I recorded was totally washed in some sort of an effect. Garbage was what I did for about 2 years. I sold that recorder and late bought a 4 track fostex from a pawn shop for 100.oo. I learned to record on that, it was simple, straightforward and I would only use reverb when really called for. Later came the Adat in 95, Roland v8, computer, etc. I still dont have a polished commercial sound with my recordings, and really dont want that. But, I do not have any over use of effects to look back on now. The old recordings before Reverb came along still stand the test of time. They sound clear, clean, and dont date themselves. I listen now to some of the classic rock songs that I loved in the 70's and can hardly listen to them because of the horrible effects and amount of used. I can listen to a song and pretty well date it by the effects used in it. They have a purpose, but, I think they have to be precisely placed to stand the test of time.

#460704 - 03/05/18 04:16 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Over use of effects in songs [Re: cliftond]
rharv Offline

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Anyone who does this for a while will have listened back to things we recorded years ago and thought 'what was I thinking' .. but apparently we thought it was good at the time. Welcome to the club. <grin>

Times change and so do we. I call it learning.
Thanks for sharing that lesson you learned.
Make your sound your own!

#460890 - 03/06/18 01:33 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Over use of effects in songs [Re: cliftond]
Kent - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

I was definitely guilty of using too many effects in my early productions. When I open old projects, everything has a long effects chain and doesn't sound very good.

I've since learned that a simple patch on a quality synth recorded through my MOTU interface rarely needs more than subtle EQ, light compression, and a touch of reverb and/or delay, and maybe some saturation (saturation is my secret weapon, usually from SoundToys plugins). If I need anything more drastic to make something sound nice, I should probably just delete it and re-record.

PG Music

#460941 - 03/06/18 07:27 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Over use of effects in songs [Re: cliftond]
Janice & Bud Offline

As Bob Dylan once responded to a question regarding why he had done something or another years ago. “It seemed important at the time.”
Never grow's a trap.
J&B SoundCloud Sampler
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#461138 - 03/08/18 08:21 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Over use of effects in songs [Re: cliftond]
Guitarhacker Offline

Lots of people new to recording tend to overuse the effects. Either because they think it sounds good and want to "enhance it" a bit or because they think it sounds bad and they're trying to cover it up. (especially vocals)
You can find my music at:

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#461168 - 03/08/18 11:50 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Over use of effects in songs [Re: cliftond]
Mike. R. Offline

Loc: Cumbria - United Kingdom
My mastering Vice - usually too much compression - bah!
What's everyone else's?

Win 10 - Intel2 quad core / 8Gb Ram
Audiophile 24/96
BAIB / RB 2018 PlusPak For Windows
Reaper 5
EWQL Composer Cloud X

Gibson LP Studio
Fender Mn Telecaster
Gretsch Alligator

Bugera 1960 Infinium

#461302 - 03/09/18 08:01 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Over use of effects in songs [Re: cliftond]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

I used to be very guilty of this when first mixing my own tunes. Sometimes with all the software and toys to use it's easy to forget that sometimes less is more smile

#461307 - 03/09/18 08:25 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Over use of effects in songs [Re: cliftond]
JohnJohnJohn Offline

If you like the sound you have created then it is good! Lots of effects...whatever! Don't let the grandpas and Eeyores stifle ya!

#461330 - 03/09/18 11:07 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Over use of effects in songs [Re: cliftond]
sslechta Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA

Eeyore doesn't like your effects.......

Description: Eeyore the Music Critic

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win10, Dell Precision T5400, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 32 GB Memory, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface

#461358 - 03/09/18 02:02 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Over use of effects in songs [Re: sslechta]
JohnJohnJohn Offline

Originally Posted By: sslechta

Eeyore doesn't like your effects.......

laugh laugh laugh

PG Music News
#Monday Motivation - Free Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Want to snag yourself a free Band-in-a-Box® hard drive? Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at

User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

#TBT - Automatic Soloing in Band-in-a-Box® 7!

Band-in-a-Box® 7 included some great new features - like Automatic Soloing! This introduced program users to the powerful Soloist capabilities of Band-in-a-Box®, which also includes the Soloist Maker.

Automatic Soloing!
Pick any song or chords in any style, and choose a "soloist." Band-in-a-Box® then creates and plays a professional quality solo in the style of your choice. Previous versions of Band-in-a-Box created great accompaniment. Now you can hear sensational solos as well - showing you exactly what notes are played. Choose from "soloists" in the style similar to great Jazz musicians such as Django Reinhardt, John Coltrane, or Country/Pop soloists and others, or create your own soloists using the "Soloist Maker."

Soloist Maker
This module allows you to define your own soloists. For example, let's say you want to create a soloist in a style similar to the style of "John Coltrane" - the great Jazz saxophonist. The Soloist Maker allows you to define the parameters essential to Coltrane's playing, such as instrument range (i.e. tenor saxophone), extra legato playing, playing more on top of the beat than typical Jazz musicians, and playing straighter 8th notes than usual Swing 8th notes. Also, you can set phrasing options, such as how long the phrase should be and how much "space" to leave between phrases. You can also set how "outside" the playing should be. In the case of a John Coltrane style - you set that to the maximum! Then "turn him loose" and hear the soloist play over any song!

Review all of the features added with Band-in-a-Box® 7:

#TechTipTuesday - Opening MIDI Tracks in PowerTracks Pro Audio

Open your MIDI file in PowerTracks Pro Audio (or RealBand), and you'll see the instruments separated onto their own track - an excellent way to hear all the instruments individually for that song, and a great way to learn!

There's no trick to it either - just use the File | Open dialog, locate the MIDI file, and click [Open].

Note: Type 0 MIDI files have all channels on one track, and should ask whether you want to separate them. If you accidentally chooses no, hit Edit - MIDI - Extract Channels to Tracks. Typically, Type 1 MIDI files have the instruments automatically separated.

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows we also released 202 NEW RealTracks, including 8 Sets (68 RealTracks) for Rock-Pop!

Learn more about these and listen to demos:

RealPAK 14: Rock-Pop includes:
RealTracks Set 286: Pop & Rock Guitars with Brent & Joe
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter - Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 288: Southern Pop Drums with Land Richards
RealTracks Set 289: Fretless Bass, Pop Keys, and Punk Drums
RealTracks Set 290: More Pop Percussion Singles
RealTracks Set 291: Modern Dancehall
RealTracks Set 292: Klezmer!
RealTracks Set 293: A Taste of Europe - France, Italy, and Sweden

Purchasing the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 PlusPAK, UltraPAK, or Audiophile Edition? These new Rock-PopRealTracks are already included!
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro and MegaPAK customers interested in adding these to their collection can purchase RealPAK 14: Rock-Pop for just $79 at

Audio Edit Window Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, the Audio Edit Window GUI has been updated to include a dedicated settings button and a Marker Mode button. Plus, editing features can now be applied to the entire track (if no specific region is highlighted).

We've also added the following items to the Edit button within the Audio Edit Window:

Paste (Mix) - This will mix the audio from the clipboard with the existing audio instead of overwriting it. You will be given the option to set the percentage of the existing audio to keep and the pasted audio to mix in.
Paste (Insert) - This will insert the audio from the clipboard to the current location, instead of overwriting the existing audio. The audio to the right of the insertion point will be shifted to make room for the new audio.
Delete - This will delete the selected region of audio.
Insert Silence - This will insert silence at the cursor. The duration of the silence inserted will be equal to the duration of the selected region.
Convert Channels - If the audio is stereo, this will convert it to mono. If it’s mono, this will convert it to stereo. You will be given the option to set the percentage of the left and right channels to include.
Harmonize - This will launch the Audio Harmony dialog, which can be used to harmonize the selected region of audio.
Transcribe - This will transcribe the audio to the Melody or Soloist track.
Fix Tuning - This will automatically correct the tuning of the selected region according to the key of your song. For example, in the key of C, if a C# is detected then it will be transposed down to C or up to D depending on which one is closer.

Forum Stats
27248 Members
49 Forums
50698 Topics
417176 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
DelRock, James Franklin, Zipit, Will Sam, zycos35960

27248 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 178
VideoTrack 168