Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#63604 - 03/05/10 09:13 AM [Off-Topic] sound fonts
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: uk
Ive been advised to post this up regarding understanding of sound fonts.Ive got the creative sb live sound card and would like to know more about how it could help in my songwriting demos.If someone could point to any info here or on the web it would be most appreciated.Thanks Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar

#63605 - 03/05/10 09:17 AM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: tributeman]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Tributeman, just google soundfont or SF2 and you will find a ton of information about them. Also you will find a ton of free soundfonts that are available as well as many that you can purchases.

Have fun.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#63606 - 03/05/10 09:20 AM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: MarioD]
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

thanks Mario will do Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard

#63607 - 03/05/10 10:59 AM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: tributeman]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
If you check out Allanah's site, you'll find a bunch of Soundfonts. Please respect her wishes not to download everything at once, but you'll find a number you can try out. My favorite is the one listed as "031.9mg Reality GM GS Bank". You'll need the sfArk extraction program to decompress them, but that's easily found on the "Misc Files" button on her site.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#63608 - 03/05/10 11:53 AM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: jford]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Tribute,
If you remember dedicated sampler keyboards, you understand how SoundFonts work. You load a specific SoundFont into the memory for your SB Live to use, and then you direct the MIDI output to that particular synth (there may be two). Then, when you play a file, you can hear those particular sounds.

You'll need some understanding of Bank and BankLSB to be able to fully utilize the SoundFont capability.

Gary

#63609 - 03/05/10 02:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: Gary Curran]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
It looks like you have got some great info already tributeman, so I will just add this..

Using a Soundfont will improve immensely the sound you here for a Midi track, this you will have more inspiration to work on the tunes, and that can only help out your songwriting.

There a are a TON of SF out there, and Allanah's site has some good ones. Just remember to grab the GM Soundfonts only, this way everything will be set up & ready to go. If you grab them a single instrument at a time, you will have to "map them" to the right channels.

I like the 037.4mg Personal Copy v4.0.0 Bank for general backing tracks. Tho it is a large download, I think it is worth it.
Intel Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS/2x 3tb Internal HDD, 12tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, E-Mu 1820 Sound Card, Win Vista/Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2018, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, ETC

#63610 - 03/05/10 02:37 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: jcspro40]
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

thanks everyone for this info.. Rharv was right when he said post it in the proper forum.Cheers Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard

#63611 - 03/05/10 03:30 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: tributeman]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

JCS,

Quote:

Using a Soundfont will improve immensely the sound you here for a Midi track, this you will have more inspiration to work on the tunes, and that can only help out your songwriting.

Not necessarily. While most SoundFonts are a step up from the basic DLS that's included with Windows, in form of the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, aka cousin to the Roland VSC synth, I've not heard too many SoundFonts that can top either one of my Korg hardware synths. I will admit that there are some capabilities in SF's that my synth can not do, such as mapping a single up or down strum on a guitar to a single note. Something like that allows you to play two notes on your keyboard and 'strum' a guitar. Various chords would be mapped to different keys, allowing you to strum different chords across a 61 note keyboard.

However, SoundFonts are just like any other sample, depending on how good they were recorded, and what you do with them, they may make a difference, or they may make your whole song sound a whole lot worse.

Gary

#63612 - 03/05/10 03:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: Gary Curran]
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

Having superb real guitar strumming on real tracks means having no need for guitar midi samples.So Im not really sure myself if Im just going through the motions regarding sound fonts when what Ive heard from biab real tracks is perfect for my songwriting. Im not into dance/trance music (and I dont perform live anymore) but ballads.. country rock and gospel music which real tracks and real styles from what Ive heard so far (and Im only just touching the tip of the iceberg) is more than good enough to provide half decent demos though I do think strings.. brass and bass could be a great help in midi.So that doesnt mean I wont take a good look at it and also quality sound fonts but Im still unsure if its going to be of any great benefit to me and the type of songs that I write.Cheers Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard

#63613 - 03/05/10 03:52 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: Gary Curran]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I used to use soundfonts. They are really old technology at this point. Just to give you an idea. The so call nice GM set that has 128 different instruments is 37Meg. I have Sonivox strings. One Instruments. It has 552 files totaling 457 Meg.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.Wintertexaninfo.com/Bands/JohnnyD.php

#63614 - 03/05/10 04:15 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: tributeman]
Rachael Offline
Expert

Consider the Coyote Forte sold through PG Music. Very nice sounds for the money.

Here is a link to plenty of SFs

http://www.synthfont.com/links_to_soundfonts.html

Rachael

#63615 - 03/05/10 04:54 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: jcspro40]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Quote:

There a are a TON of SF out there, and Allanah's site has some good ones. Just remember to grab the GM Soundfonts only, this way everything will be set up & ready to go. If you grab them a single instrument at a time, you will have to "map them" to the right channels.

Getting a GM soundfont to start with is a good idea. However using a soundfont librarian one can change individual sounds in a soundfont set. Thus if one doesn’t like the muted trumpet sound for example you can replace it with another better sounding muted trumpet. When I was using SF2’s a lot I would always replace the sound effects, #121-127, with usable alternate sounds such as other trumpets, saxes etc. I also had separate modified GM soundfont sets for specific songs. For instance I would replace all of the orchestra and sound effects SF2s and replace them with different sounding brass and reeds if I were doing a big band song. As stated you would have to map them to the right channels and with a sequencer (RB for example) that is very easily done.

SF2’s are a great place to get started. Most are inexpensive and/or free. However as Silvertones have stated it is old technology that has been overtaken by larger more realistic sound sources like Sonivox, Kontakt, Reason etc.

Have fun

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#63616 - 03/06/10 12:35 AM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: MarioD]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Quote:

Not necessarily. While most SoundFonts are a step up from the basic DLS that's included with Windows, in form of the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, aka cousin to the Roland VSC synth, I've not heard too many SoundFonts that can top either one of my Korg hardware synths.

I disagree. To get better results right now, without $100's invested, the SF format is a viable option, especially with the SB card.

Yes, it is old technology, but I feel the Roland sounds have always been pretty unrealistic, and that the Yamaha XG format sounded much better. I would place some of the SF files I have heard over the Roland, ad right up there with the Yamaha Softsynth.

This would get the OP up & running with better sounds, without any investment by grabbing them from Allanah's great site (Thanks Allanah if you read this!).

And it goes without saying that any "newer"hardware sampler will sound better than an old SF, but the Original questions was "would like to know more about how it could help in my songwriting demos." That is what I tried to answer.;)

Of course this is all IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...
Intel Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS/2x 3tb Internal HDD, 12tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, E-Mu 1820 Sound Card, Win Vista/Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2018, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, ETC

#63617 - 03/06/10 02:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: jcspro40]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
The ability to change soundfonts (customize them) was one of the strengths it had IMO. Tons to choose from for very little cost.
Of course newer hardware synths will be better, but the cost is often a factor. Comparing inexpensive soundfonts with thousand(s) dollar equipment isn't fair. Then there is the 'user' part. I have heard thousands of dollars of equipment not sound as good as a VSC based recording.. in the right hands.

#63618 - 03/06/10 01:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: Rachael]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
Quote:

Consider the Coyote Forte sold through PG Music. Very nice sounds for the money.

Especially if you're using Win7 64. The last I heard, Roland VSC wouldn't work with WIN7 64.

#63619 - 03/06/10 01:35 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: jcspro40]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Not necessarily. While most SoundFonts are a step up from the basic DLS that's included with Windows, in form of the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, aka cousin to the Roland VSC synth, I've not heard too many SoundFonts that can top either one of my Korg hardware synths.

I disagree. To get better results right now, without $100's invested, the SF format is a viable option, especially with the SB card.

Yes, it is old technology, but I feel the Roland sounds have always been pretty unrealistic, and that the Yamaha XG format sounded much better. I would place some of the SF files I have heard over the Roland, ad right up there with the Yamaha Softsynth.

This would get the OP up & running with better sounds, without any investment by grabbing them from Allanah's great site (Thanks Allanah if you read this!).

And it goes without saying that any "newer"hardware sampler will sound better than an old SF, but the Original questions was "would like to know more about how it could help in my songwriting demos." That is what I tried to answer.;)

Of course this is all IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...

JCS,
You took my post completely out of meaning.

I am not, and will not quarrel, that some sound fonts can do everything that you said they can do. However, the vast majority of the soundfonts that I've listened to, or purchased from Sonivox or others, do not stand up to my hardware synths.

BUT, they can do everything that you said they could do, and they are a cost effective way to move beyond the most basic sounds. Plus, with some collections that are very specific in nature to one type of instrument, guitar for example, I can get and use samples that are not available from my keyboard.

Finally, I said this:
Quote:

However, SoundFonts are just like any other sample, depending on how good they were recorded, and what you do with them, they may make a difference, or they may make your whole song sound a whole lot worse.

A good soundfont, created by someone like Sonivox, or someone with lots of experience doing sample libraries, may sound very good. It may be just the sound that you are looking for, and it may do everything that you said it would. On the other hand, someone with NO experience, taking samples from various keyboards, as is the case many time, may do a poor job of creating the soundfont, and hence, it would do more damage to your song.

It all depends on the SoundFont.

Gary

#63620 - 03/06/10 01:49 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: Gary Curran]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Bob,
It *IS* unfair to compare the two, because there is a huge difference between a $100 SoundFont and a $2,800 keyboard. I was also replying to this particular part of JSC's original post.

Quote:

Using a Soundfont will improve immensely the sound you here for a Midi track...

However, I *would*...easily...be willing to compare my $2,800 synth with a $400 Ketron, and very favorably at that. Would you pay someone like Sonivox $100 for something like this?

http://www.sonivoxmi.com/ProductList.asp...l%20MIDI%20Sets

Or, would you be willing to pay PG Music less than $400 for this?

http://www.pgmusic.com/ketronsd2.htm

Yes, I know that cost is often a factor in our decision, I couldn't afford to buy the Ketron now, either.

But, you see my point?

Gary

#63621 - 03/06/10 02:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: Gary Curran]
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

Hi Gary,I just listened to those sonivox sound fonts and I was impressed especially the guitars they were the most authentic Ive ever heard Cheers Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard

#63622 - 03/06/10 03:44 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: tributeman]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

I am sorry you feel I took your post wrong, I did not mean it that way. But without going to the other thread, here is what was asked in this thread..

Quote:

Ive got the creative sb live sound card and would like to know more about how it could help in my songwriting demos.

I answered this question with an answer that I feel was appropriate, that using sound fonts CAN improve his MIDI sounds, thus help with songwriting by working with a better sound set. There was no question about any type of hardware, just how a sound font could help tributeman situation now.

You responded with....

Quote:

Which got off of the originals posters question, and that is what I disagreed with.

I also don't want to quarrel, but I don't feel that I "took my post completely out of meaning." It looked to me that you were saying that hardware is better than sound fonts, and like you, in some circumstances I agree. But that did not address the OP question of HOW sound fonts could help him with the equipment he has NOW.

And it strikes me as funny that, in the 2 comparisons, that tributeman chose the sound font over the hardware!

I again say that by using sound fonts to enhance what tributeman already has that, with no $$ outlay, he can improve his songwriting ability's, and enjoy it a lot more, over the supplied roland stuff.

I will now gracefully bow out of this thread....

#63623 - 03/06/10 05:38 PM [Off-Topic] Re: sound fonts [Re: jcspro40]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

JCS,
Okay, I see your point of view.

I did not mean to come across that SoundFonts aren't useful, and that hardware is the end all, be all. I just said I hadn't heard any SF that sounded as good as my hardware. BUT, some SFs *are* good, and do suffice for songwriting.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Forum Stats
28068 Members
57 Forums
54395 Topics
449610 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
KeithR, Andreu Casado, Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC

28067 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 160