You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#75435 - 06/08/10 05:30 PM [Off-Topic] Come Back Baby... and gig
PeteG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Portland, Oregon-USA
I put this song up as a request from Dan O'Connell over a the JPF website - thought you might enjoy it. My proudest part is the bass run down on the turn around. Two bits to who can figure how that one is done.
Song page: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9250857

News... I'm going to be the opening act for the Sept. 1 , Cascade Blues Association meeting. Made a demo CD and did some shameless self promotion. It's at the Melody Ballroom in Portland. They help sponsor the Waterfront Blues Festival in July and I'll be working crew for that.

#75436 - 06/08/10 06:08 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: PeteG]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Pete,

You are really getting polished ma man! This is another great effort in capturing that Delta Blues sound, I feel like I am in a Juke Joint in West Memphis Arkansas as I listen to this tune.

One more thing Never, I repeat NEVER apologize for self promotion. That is unless you are spending big bucks with an agency who is supposed to be getting you the ink instead. But I am assuming you are like most of us here and have to do any and all promoting yourself, so keep on keeping on.

Let us know how the gig goes but I am sure you are going to kill.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#75437 - 06/08/10 06:24 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: PeteG]
Curmudgeon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Henderson, NV
Good job. Very clean and clear, both vox and guitar.

Don S

#75438 - 06/09/10 05:53 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: Curmudgeon]
enjfb Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Bristol, UK
Hi Pete,
I enjoyed your song - great playing and singing - well done.
Jim

#75439 - 06/09/10 06:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: PeteG]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Congrats Pete - you're gonna shine.
Does the Waterfront have an open stage for you to showcase your Delta Blues?

Ian

#75440 - 06/09/10 07:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: Danny C.]
PeteG Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Danny, Don, Jim and Ian.

Danny, No, I'm not spending any big bucks , just putting myself out there a little more. And Ian, the short answer is no, I'm not ready for that venue, though there are a few local acts playing. Portland has beaucoup talented musicians - but heres the info on the Waterfront Show. http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com/

#75441 - 06/10/10 02:28 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: PeteG]
D. Tuna Offline
Apprentice

I always enjoy hearing you play and I wish you might put up some youtube videos one day. I noticed you mention Stefan Grossman. Have you used some of the lesson series on his site and if yes can you comment on the ones you found helpful?

I've retired my electric guitars and am now on my acoustic journey of Delta Blues and a little ragtime. Since I'm not as familiar with many of the less popular songs of those times it's like a new inspiration to me. I really like your choice of Come Back Baby and thanks for letting us hear it.

#75442 - 06/10/10 03:02 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: D. Tuna]
PeteG Offline
Journeyman

Hi D. Tuna,

Thanks and welcome. And welcome to the world of acoustic blues guitar, you couldn't have made a better choice. As to your question on Stefan Grossman, who will be playing at Eric Clapton's Crossroad Blues Festival in Chicago this summer, he is in my opinion the greatest resource for info on the history and playing techniques of the various folk blues traditions and even into some of the early electric artists.. and there is Celtic, country and other popular styles covered in his many titles on dvd. He has a series of 3 dvds called "How to play Blues guitar" that I like and it has the original recordings included as source material. That is at a level 3 of 5 , so it's going to depend where you are with your fingerpicking technique. He has more and less difficult lessons available, you can also view the sample lessons to see where you'd feel comfortable. Taking the time to master basic techniques will pay off big time as you get deeper into the material. Once you master the basics then you can add in many of the musical ideas I'm sure you have learned over the years. Blues has always had a large element of improvisation. Hope that's helpful and I'd be happy to answer anything else.
Also let me recommend a book to you , called "Chasin' That Devil Music" by Gayle Dean Wardlow which is a comprehensive history of the Delta Blues.
'

#75443 - 06/10/10 06:01 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: PeteG]
D. Tuna Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Pete I appreciate the help. I'm going over to that site now to check out the DVD's mentioned.

My level of fingerstyle is just past beginner although I can play most of Clapton's unplugged songs pretty well. I'm having to retrain my fingers and get rid of a lot of mistakes in fingerings I used over the years and this has been the biggest bottleneck for me but as time goes on the fingers are slowly coming along!

#75444 - 06/10/10 07:13 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: PeteG]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
WOW Pete, you’re getting really polished on this acoustic blues stuff. Great vox and outstanding picking my friend. I have a number of acoustic blues CDs of the original artists (Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Sun House etc.) and this is right up there with them. Yours is a better recording, sound wise, than those original recordings but the feel is the same IMHO and that is hard to accomplish. Great job!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#75445 - 06/11/10 12:56 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: MarioD]
Powderman Offline
Apprentice

Loc: TEXAS, USA
Pete - that was super. The sound was wonderful. I could listen to that style all night.

Thanks for sharing

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=933265

#75446 - 06/11/10 06:32 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: Powderman]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Pete,
I'm not really a 'blues' fan, but I have to admit that is a really great recording. Your vocals work very well for the style, also. I appreciate being able to hear your talent.

Gary

#75447 - 06/11/10 07:57 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: PeteG]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Pete,

MarioD said it all,
Quote:

WOW Pete, you’re getting really polished on this acoustic blues stuff.

I wholeheartedly agree.

An excellent listen,
Noel

#75448 - 06/12/10 12:05 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Come Back Baby... and gig [Re: Noel96]
PeteG Offline
Journeyman

Mario, Rick, Gary, and Noel - thanks guys , and I mean that sincerely. I've known you all for a long while now and you have all been so supportive and kind. This is really what makes all the work worth it,- to be able to communicate some feeling through music.

PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Here are some tutorial videos we've created to help you install your Band-in-a-Box® purchase.

Our Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, and PlusPAK are delivered as a download, on DVD, or on a 32GB USB flash drive.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from DVD: click here to watch.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the 32GB flash drive: click here to watch.
Your flash drive shipment also includes a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

The Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK is available as a download or shipped on a portable hard drive. When you receive the hard drive version, there are a few different installation options:

Option #1 - Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to watch.

Option #2 - Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks and RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to watch.

Option #3 - Install Band-in-a-Box® AND RealTracks on your computer hard drive: click here to watch.

All of these videos are available on our YouTube Channel or Videos support page.

Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Forum Stats
27633 Members
50 Forums
52273 Topics
432764 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
LeftyMark, War Eagle, reaper19, Waaree, Eridanus

27633 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 176