Quote:

If you have tips on making the RD's "fit" a song beyond keeping the basic beat with a few fills please share. I'd like to get better at making the drums sound less generic and more song specific.

Thank you.

hi Josie! Hope all is well with you!
Here's what I do when I need song-specific drum parts:

1) I get as close as possible with a real track or midi drum

2) then I use my midi keyboard and set the midi channel to 10 so it works as a drum controller (Start a new track for this so you don't change the existing drum part)

3) as the song plays, I tap the keys to add hits wherever I need them. You don't have to be real specific... you can use the same key for all the hits... the important thing is to get the timing right

4) then you can drag the hits to the correct note/drum

5) if you don't want to drag the notes to the correct drum, the easiest thing is to pick one drum, for example , the kick drum, and play all its parts all the way through... then find each of the other drums (snare, tom, cymbals etc) and enter them one at a time on different tracks. (all of the tracks still need to be channel 10)

I used to spend HOURS searching for a drum part that was close to what I wanted... this approach is something you can do to get in the ballpark fairly quickly.