Quote:

You have your choice of contemporary country, the same oldies over and over again or rap.

You say "or rap" with a tone that it's all crap like the other things you listed. Like most on this forum including me, we don't realize that for the last 20 years rap and hip hop is where it's been. I've forced myself to listen to that occasionally and it's very creative. I've listened to the DJ's and commentators and even watched a documentary on hip hop on the History Channel. It's beyond huge but very few of us on this forum know that. The sound is so foreign (I could use stronger words but I won't) to most of us here it doesn't even get mentioned except like you just did. Totally dismissive.

All we're doing when we talk like this is revealing what out of touch idiots we all are. Sorry, but it's true. This is what's been happening all these years, this is where all the missing creativity we're all talking about is now. Rap and hip hop followed by Euro techno, dubstep and progressive rock. And yes, they're listening to all the hidden, hip internet music sites few of us even know exists.

That stuff is amazing in it's production values, totally off the wall but very creative. Mostly crap to my ears but some of it is interesting and I've got to give it it's due. It's hard to realize sometimes but there's 40 year old's walking around now who grew up on rap and hip hop. To them it's the only good music out there.

I did a wedding reception a month ago and during a break we played some Beach Boys on the PA. A cute 20 year old friend of the bride came up to me with an IPad and asked if she could plug in some of her music. Never mind she looked about 15 to me but she's actually 20. I said sure and she started editing her song list. I leaned over to her and said with a grin, gotta delete all the bitches and ho's, right? She looked at me, nodded her head and started laughing. I could tell she was thinking how did this old dude pick up that? She's your basic, comes from a wealthy family in Newport Beach, white girl just so you know. To us gangsta rap is horrible and should be illegal but to the kids it's just a joke, it's not serious but they gotta be careful around the old folks...

Does that sound familiar to some of us?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.