I have mixed feelings about that.

On one hand I see the songwriters should get paid for their work - BUT - and it's a big but - how does ASCAP/BMI know what songs are being played and who to direct the royalties to.

On the other hand, shouldn't some instances of playing songs that have become part of our common language be part of the fair use laws?

Technically, if we were to sing "Happy Birthday" to my sister in a restaurant, the restaurant is required to have an ASCAP license. And the writers of the words to "Happy Birthday" are long dead (the "Good Morning To You" song is public domain) and Warner/Chappell makes about $2Million per year on that song. Is that right?

How about a few people sitting at a piano at a retirement village clubhouse for a bunch of friends? Technically it's illegal. But why sell sheet music if you are only allowed to play it in your living room?

Of course, the copyright laws were written by legislators who received handsome campaign funds by the publishers which I'm sure influenced their voting (tacit bribery?).

Somewhere there is a better place between the two extremes, but I don't think we are going to see that happen. Plus I wouldn't consider myself the expert to draw up new guidelines if it fell in my lap.

So I guess my opinion is the copyright laws need to be re-written but not by the publishing industry.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks