Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I walked out of a Stevie Ray Vaughn Concert back in the 80s at the garden and I LOVE Stevie Ray. The problem was, he got JEFF BECK to open for him.

Jeff Beck came on stage with a drummer and a white Stratocaster, walked up to a mic and said "Hi"--then launched into a seamless guitar solo of many songs and parts strung together that was about an hour a half long non stop. The most dazzling and mind-boggling tour de force of guitar virtuosity I have ever seen. It was like a tour through the cosmos, and a visit to Mars. When he was done he walked back up to the mic and said "I'm Jeff Beck. Good night."

The crowd went nuts. Absolutely berserk. It was like a fifteen minute standing ovation.

Then Stevie Ray came out and started "If the house is a rockin'.." or one of those tunes.

It just didn't work. People were like "Huh?"

Moral of the story:

Never have Jeff Beck open for you. Career suicide.

Other stories??

smile

I'm sorry, but anyone who walks out of a SRV performance because Jeff Beck kicked butt before him merits little more than an eye roll and shaking of the head, to be kind.

PS: I'm a massive Beck fan...grew up in the 70s idolizing his ground-breaking instrumental stuff. But I've seen both live and numerous videos of them both live...and Beck can only dream of being half the virtuoso SRV was. In fact, I've seen a video of SRV playing with Beck and he made Beck look like a bumbling high schooler. lmao @ this.

Anyway...

I only walked out of one concert: Spyro Gyra. It was a "date concert" and for those who don't know, they have a lot of accessible, so-called smooth jazz stuff......but mind you some really good stuff despite that. Anyway, apparently on this tour they were determined to show they are "real jazz musicians" and went off on these ridiculously long and ridiculously shall we say "interpretive" solos/songs....I get jazz, I like jazz of all kinds and am pretty open-minded, but I'm sorry this just sucked. Bad. We left about half-way through.