I cannot listen to the old stuff like Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, etc. I understand they probably played a critical role in getting us where we are but then again so did Beethoven and I don't listen to his stuff either! laugh

Like many people I have a strong preference for what I grew up with so The Beatles and Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd get played a lot as does Bob Dylan, John Prine and Paul Simon. There are lots of others of course.

But, I also LOVE a lot of the new music. I really love Sia's Chandelier and Lorde's Royals, both terrific pop songs in my opinion. I enjoyed Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus. And quite a bit of the new music excites me! (I even like a recent Eminem freestyle rap but for different reasons!)

I agree with Eddie about music being generational. I like my music better than my dad's music and better than my kids' music. But I understand that doesn't make my music better (or worse) than theirs!

Also, unlike some folks, I have absolutely no problem with automation or production improvements or voice effects or guitar pedals or synths (or Band-in-a-Box) being used to produce something new and interesting! It doesn't matter to me whether Rihanna sang in a studio or recorded her vocals and emailed them! All I care about is the final product. At the same time I understand how some people remember fondly the "good old days" when the whole band recorded together in the studio; that certainly required some skills! But just like horse & buggy we have moved on!

So, to answer the question "Is Good Music Dying Away?"...Nope!