Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi Guys

Well this sounds like a challenge right up my street because I am busy recording this track (with Lebz on guitar) as part of an album to sell at our National Arts Festival in July.

Please note: I always obtain the necessary licenses from CAPASSO for cover songs when I produce these albums to sell at my live shows. Here is my acapella lead vocal. I would love feedback on what you think I could do to improve on it. I will post the finished version a little later.

Your vocal sounds good. Even, balanced. Good amount of reverb. (none of the distortion that used to show up).

The final result will, of course, depend on how it sounds with whatever tracks it sits in - it needs a context to really know.

But... compared to the Sheeran vocal, yours is fairly "conventional". That is not a "bad" thing... it is conventional. The Sheeran vocal obviously has a whole different kind of processing going on. I hear something that sounds like a Rotary Speaker plugin has been used on it. There is definitely some delay (or a lot of it), too. I'm not hearing a delay in yours (did you use one?).

I have never gone down this rabbit hole before - the one about "how are current, 'modern' vocals processed". So any comments regarding how those vocals are processed are guesses - and since I have never used a rotary plugin on anything, it is simply based on "I think I hear this"...

Floyd, thanks so much. I don't know how you guys can identify what you are hearing. I suppose it is years and years of practice. I put up some "acoustic treatment" in my studio the other day (some old blankets draped on some speaker stands actually) and could not hear any difference. Lebz said he could hear the difference the minute he walked into the room..sigh...

So here I go down this rabbit hole too... I am just downloading a trial Rotary speaker plugin and will experiment with it and also some delay, I didn't add delay to the first version, only reverb . (I always battle a little with delay).

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/