Funny how we're all different Ember. It was exactly the opposite for me. I couldn't hear any difference at all with Neil Young and Coldplay. The 128K Mp3 sounded just as good as the wav to me. But then I got the girl singer, Katy Perry, Jay Z and the classical piano one because they're cleaner, simpler mixes. I was listening for overall presence not specific freq's. The ones I got were obvious to me. I played these through my fairly high end stereo system with a pair of Altec Model 14's, not cans. I never mix with cans I only use them as a test later.

What this really shows is unless you're all set up in a good listening room, no distractions and using good equipment you would never hear any difference at all. This required silence and concentration and who really listens that way? Unless I'm playing mixing engineer I don't listen critically, I'm listening for relaxation and enjoyment and I'm actually surprised that I would be perfectly happy with the 128K Mp3's for that.

It's millennials who could really tell the differences if they actually cared. Sadly I doubt many would. Back in my day me and all my friends were all into high end and expensive stereo equipment. We could tell the differences between turntable cartridges, mid range speakers and high end ones, running tape at 15ips vs 7.5 and all that stuff.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.