Originally Posted By: Planobilly
I really don't remember where I ran across the schematic. I have a big folder of schematics. I have not built this preamp but it looked like it would work well.

I am seriously thinking about building it. I just have not found a jt 115k for sale, plus they are a bit pricy. I need to look at other brands.

See if you can find some "two rock" amp schematics/photos and look at how they do tube placement. I would do as much shielding as I could. The power supply however it is designed needs not to be noisy. One reason I never used switching power supplies, plus I don't really understand the design. I am not opposed to transistors, I just don't have much experience with them.

I have a lot going on at the moment. This has sort of been shoved on the back burner.

I have to keep my neighbors, three young teenage girls, for a few days while they go out of town. Had to go lock up all my guns, and be sure all the serious meds I have had to take are locked up. Kids are curious about everything and I want to provide a safe environment for them.

Prepping things for the new vocalist, dealing with the speech therapy issues after the hospital stay, trips to the hospital today for radiology of my throat. Electronics will have to be set on hold for a while.

Billy

Well it looks like it would be a good schematic to try out, plus if it doesn't work well you can always scavenge the transformers for something else.

Check out Cinemag transformers - I think they might be a bit less than Jensen. A local electronics company Sonic Farm uses them in their preamps iirc - one of their designers Boris was a professor of mine.

Switching power supplies are nothing to be afraid of really - my RME Fireface has one built in, as does my MOTU 828 MK3, and chances are most of your audio equipment does too. They're not something I'd recommend building from scratch - I had to build a power supply for a mixer that needed +-18v at around 5 amps (plus 48v for phantom), so I used pre-made PSU modules - the whole thing cost about $100 including a 2U rackmount enclosure.

Hope your speech therapy goes well!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We are rather simplistic as follows:

Pop filter > Rodes NT1 mic > Scarlett 212 interface > Logic Pro X (DAW) > Izotope Nectar Breath Control > Izotope Nectar

90% of the time we use a self created Nectar preset with the following Nectar modules in the presented order:

EQ (2db bump at 400-800HZ & 4k-6kHZ) I've used this for 30 years on her vocals.
Tape Sat
Vintage compressor sim - very simple single band
Analog Delay (very slight)
Reverb (EMT 140 Plate simulation)

Light tweaks to the above per mix needs.

Never have used Nectar's de-esser or done any manual de-essing.

Never use Nectar or Logic's pitch editors. Janice's note bending would likely detonate them smile

Bud

PS Above copied from my response to floyd's post on same subject.

Sounds like a solid signal chain there. Not sure which compressor you're using, but I quite like the Molotok compressor from TDR - it's a good freebie, and works in Band-in-a-Box.

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
The only pitch editor I have really tried much is Melodyne. It is only marginally useful and if you want to get the most out of it requires dealing with single notes. It is very useful for changing timing issues.

I just got auto-tune, so I have not really had a chance to try it. It is kinda pricey at $25 a month.

Here is a short video. https://youtu.be/KK5qPxqGYu8

Billy

Auto-tune is pretty good, but I've found it's best use is on bass - it does a fantastic job of pitch tracking and tuning on bass guitar. Otherwise I end up using the built-in pitch correction in Logic.

I work here