Hi, Dan. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:

What was the tempo in biab originally?

All the parts were rendered out at their "optimal" speed - for example, "PopLiverpool Ev 065" was rendered as a .WAV file at 65BPM, and then stretched out to 120 BPM using elastique in Reaper. BiaB 2011 makes this unnecessary, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to upgrade.

Quote:

This track is nice, but it sounds heavily spliced together- no human feel and breathing going on.

I see what you mean - there aren't any pauses anywhere. I'd had a 8 bar phrase where I dropped the guitar out and it helped a bit, but it was even more effective to drop that section entirely.

But I'll watch for that in the future. It's easy to get carried away with the solos!

I initially planned on doing a call/response between a solo guitar and flute, but it didn't match the feel. I'd also intended to use a different soloist, but I'm a sucker for Mark Knopfler-style licks.

Quote:

I get what I want with editing in reaper, as opposed to endless regenerating in biab/rb.

I usually render about four or five solo tracks out, and then solo the tracks in Reaper, picking the bits that I like and seem to flow together well. But it's asking a lot of the RealTrack soloist to try to carry an entire song!

Quote:

This track feels quantized heavily, how ever it got like that.

I suspect the constant tick of the bass and drum is mostly responsible. I cut and pasted bits together, but didn't alter the rhythm of the phrases. But - as you noted - I filled up all the space in the process.

Actually, there's one spot where I fiddled with it so it would flow better, but it's actually less quantized and more free-flowing at that point.

Thanks again for your input!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?