Wayne, I started midi when I found out what those funny looking ports where used for. When I found the midi plugs my wife said I took two expensive hobbies and may one very expensive hobby out of it!

My first synth was a Korg DS8. Shortly thereafter I bought my first midi guitar controller, then came the tone generators. I still have all of them, a Kawai K1M, the TX plus a couple of Rolands. They all are in excellent condition and they all still work! That’s more than I can say for some of my “out dated” soft synths!

The FM 7 was updated to the FM 8. I haven’t updated yet but I should soon. You can program it much like you could the TX. You can also import and save the TX sounds to it. If you purchase FM8 I have approximately 5000 Public Domain and my own sounds I could send to you. Just let me know.

Korg also has some good softsynths from around that era, such as the M1 + T1, Wavestation, etc. You might want to check them out.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware