In spite of all that has been said so far, I do think there is a generational difference in attitudes toward software. The older generation is much more inclined to buy what they like, whether they first learn about it illegally or through normal advertizing.

I know I'm about to make a huge generalization here, but I believe that on average the generalization stands true under scrutiny, even though it does not apply to all.

I have noticed a trend among my kids' friends (who grew up with online privileges and learned much by simply taking and using whatever they could find on the web) that they have more of a disdain for copyright laws than their adult counterparts. The adults tend to see it as a "letter of the law vs. spirit of the law" issue, but the kids see it as anarchy, there should be no law at all.

Until recently, the MIDI aspect of BIAB appealed to the generation who grew up with MIDI. My kids never liked MIDI. They gravitated toward all the music apps that deal with audio. Now that BIAB is more powerful as an audio app than most of the alternatives, I suspect that the young crowd will be more interested. But the question is, will they buy it? or steal it?

Even among young men of such age where they DO have a budget for software, I've encountered many who simply do not believe they should have to pay for software. There is a growing trend of thought that intellectual property is a proletariat manifestation that needs to be knocked down for the good of the people, and that really causes me some concern for the future.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 12/28/10 01:56 PM.