I’m finding this tread very interesting as many of us are either anti-midi or anti-RTs/RDs. I, like Mac and some others, use whatever sounds the best for the song I’m working on. However I seem to be 180 degrees out of phase with many!

Let me explain. I use mostly midi for my original music. The ratio is about 90 percent midi and 10% RTs. I very rarely use RDs on my originals. I can manipulate midi parts far more easily than I can RTs. I also have some very good sounding sound sources. Sound sources, I believe is the secret for midi. If you are using an inexpensive GM or MS midi sound source than RTs will always sound better no matter how much midi tweaking you do! With good sound sources there is not that much difference. However they do cost a lot of money.

Now I use mostly RTs/RDs with covers! Note that I do not believe in doing covers exactly like the original. If I did that then why would anyone listen to me when they can play the record/CD. I have a couple of clients who love singing old country standards for their friends and families. RTs/RDs are a God sent! I no longer have to generate/play midi parts anymore. I just use RTs/RDs and I can produce a pro quality song in minutes. They are extremely happy with the results, as am I. Note that I would love to send up an example however I respect the forum’s no cover song rule.

So the bottom line is use whatever works best for you but don’t put down the other side! Midi, RTs, and RDs should work side by side and neither is always perfect or always not perfect.

Just my two cents.

You know you're getting old when a recliner and a heating pad is your idea of a hot date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware