It doesn't come down to the mix being bad. I've had quite a number of listens to this track because I like the song. I can hum the melody no problem! THAT is an idication of a good song! Everything else, such as mix things, comes down to a work in progress and a learning experience every time for ALL of us. If you're asking for anything specific Josie, I have what I'm hearing narrowed down to the lead vocal. The music bed sounds fine when there is no vocal. The BGV's sound fine. The lead vocal sounds like there may have been some heavier eq'ing choices- perhaps to try and brighten or unmuddy the vocal in some way. Perhaps some deep cuts or big boosts at certain frequencies were applied. Without knowing anything that was done, I'm just guessing it might be an ambiance effect such as a room or reverb, the eq of that effect, and/or the eq of the vocal itself. Maybe if compression was appiled, it's amplifying it but I'm not picking up on vocal compression. Perhaps you have it applied lightly or just not there at all. But it for sure comes down to the lead vocal and something is causing it to sound phased or comb filtered. Eq'ing in certain ways will bring on phasing issues, and recording the vocal in certain spots in a room, such as too close to a wall[s] or something, will bring on comb filtering- another sort of phasey sound. Whatever the case may be, it's the lead vocal and as far as I can hear after easily, 10 listens now, it's only the lead vocal.

I only bring it up so maybe it will help your ear to zero in on the sound and recognize it. I've never heard any of Bob's leads sound like that on other tracks, so it's probably what I mention or a culmination of things in the mix contributing to it. Also, this kind of thing can happen when just one overall eq is applied to the stereo mix to try and slant the bass or high freq's a certain way. But is it ruining things? Certainly not. I don't listen to tracks past one time if it's truly unlistenable, and I don't bother to try and help get to the bottom of something if I don't think the people on the other end are capable of 'getting' it or caring in the first place. So you ask, I mention! LOL! One thing to try with future mixes is to bring up vocals right away when you start. Mix bass, and drums AROUND and in conjunction with the vocals right away. Too often vocals are a last thought, or the last faders to be brought up. That makes carving a spot for vocals very very tough and there's usually lots of compromises to be made at that point. So it's something to consider trying.

All this crap though- it's just ongoing conversation about sound. The bottom line is always the song. Anybody can make sounds and comment about sounds. Few can nail the writing of great songs even worth listening to how they sound. You two, both collectively and on your own, write FIRST RATE songs. No doubt! And with every single mix, they sound better and better. Keep up the GREAT work!

Dan