Quote:

So it was drivers after all.

Actually, it was not the drivers. The drivers have not been touched through all of this.

The M-Audio MIDI interface needed to be "reset" and when I moved it to a hard port on the PC rather than a remote port on the hub, Windows then redetected the interface and that would "reset" it, and I keep putting that in quotes because that is really not right term, but it is close enough. When I moved it back to the hub to test it, the computer briefly did the same redetection as when I went the other way. And then after testing when I put it back into the computer's hard USB port it redetected yet again. It was the power cycles that did the trick. The interface needed to be (again for lack of a better term) powered off and back on. And since it pulls power from a USB port, pulling the USB cable, counting to 5, and plugging back in would do the same as powering the computer off. That computer gets restarted so seldom that if there is an issue with the USB bus at that level (and there was) a restart is the only thing that will fix it.

When you move something from port to port, there is a subtle change in the hardware bus address that the computer has to make. Similar to when you would pull all your USB cables out to take the cover off the computer and vacuum the dust out of it... if you plug them back in to the same ports, you will see nothing. If you get two of them switched, Windows will pause and say "Oh, I have your drivers already but you moved to the next house."

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.