Quote:

...I've got a basic Edirol UA-4fx soundcard with one cable from the computer USB port going into it (apart from my keyboard) and the speakers coming out - that's all...

I don't have that but it should work. It looks like it includes the vsc (virtual sound canvas) and that's a much better synth than microsoft GS imo. Do you have vsc installed and can you use it in sonar? Also what kind of keyboard do you have and does it have internal sounds?

To get us on the same page, install the roland vsc again and remember or write down where the installer puts it. (it's just a .dll file)

Then start biab and hit 'opt' and 'midi/audio setup'. Tic 'use vst', untic midi thru for now, and hit 'vst/dxi settings'. When that menu opens, choose the top dropdown, go all the way to the bottom and click 'add vst, go to where the installer put your vsc and choose it, then close that menu when it loads.

Leave mme set for your audio, or set it back if it isn't (for now). Select your usb in for midi input, select 'no midi output'(for now), hit ok to close everything.

Hit style and load a midi style, hit load song demo and hit play. You should be hearing sounds from your roland vsc. Click the vsti synth button to see it. ((off to right of rec button. If it's hidden hit the two small arrows)

To record midi in biab select the red record button and it should record to the melody track. I'm thinking you should be able to do this now, but if not report back.

For biab help on vsti, type in 'vst' for some good starting points. For recording midi, the info is a little scattered, but 'record' will give you some starting points.