I had a recent discussion with Cecil Hallum about music apps he could check out for his new iPhone 4S. He recommended I post my list here also.

After having my iPhone 4 for about a year, I put together this short list of indispensable (for me) music-related apps. The list is in two groups: production/performance, and listening. Each list is in alphabetical order, not order of importance. I have tried many additional music apps that do not appear on this list, and perhaps this list will give someone a head start on some basic apps to research. The list was developed for an iPhone and I do not know which of these may work full-sized on an iPad.

For music production or performance:

A-7CoreMini -- remote control for SONAR
    BandInABox -- BIAB player
    BBRemote -- BIAB remote control
    Chordbot -- similar to BIAB and much simpler but self-contained
    Cleartune -- basic tuner
    Decibel -- sound level meter
    FiRe -- audio field recorder
    iRealB -- the RealBook and other tunes for practicing
    iStroboSoft -- strobe tuner
    iTempo -- metronome
    MultiTrack -- mini-DAW
    Shazam -- to identify songs that are playing
    Virtuoso -- mini-piano

For listening enjoyment:

5-0 Radio Pro -- world Internet radio services (the new shortwave)
    Pandora -- personalized Internet radio
    TuneIn Radio -- genre-based Internet radio

Note: This list is not meant as an endorsement of any app. I have no financial connection to any of these apps, with the exception that I do appear as an artist on Pandora.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors