I wholeheartedly support Mac's points above. With that said, it was a behringer control surface with motorized faders. That's all that it does, control levels, sends, etc. in your DAW software the way you like to do it on your analog mixer. There's only 8 sliders, cuz you only have 8 fingers to use at a time. You assign which tracks of your unlimited number of tracks you have in the DAW software to the sliders. You mix a certain number of tracks the old school way-with faders, except all that is happening are commands to make level changes inside the DAW software - not actual gain changes. It's non-destructive; meaning, you can re-fade it till the cows come home.

I agree with Mac - don't dive into the deep end of the pool if you aren't ready to swim there.

BTW - you don't have to go through a mixer to send signal to your speakers. Nearly all sound cards have some outputs that you can connect to monitor speakers. I've never had a mixer in my home 'studio' since 1996 time frame. Last time I used a mixer at home was when I was doing some 4 track TEAC reel-to-reel stuff. Early 1980's, fiddling around as a high school student. Didn't have anything in the late 80's to mid 90's and all my songs during that time were sequenced midi using hardware sequencers. Then I heard about PTPA from a friend and made the leap into the box. Been mixing inside it ever since.

-Scott