First, changing the major part of your gear is never going to be a "smooth transition".

Time out: what exactly is the Tascam gear Scott recommended?

Yes, on my FW-1884 I can plug in microphones (up to 8) and MIDI (up to 4).

In your example, if I had to try to control the levels on tracks 2, 7 and 11, I would move the tracks around in the DAW so all three fall in the same bank. In this example, swapping tracks 1 and 11 would do it and put all the needed tracks on bank one. For convenience, I might also then swap 3 and 7, so new tracks 1, 2 and 3 that need adjustment are all together on the board.

EDIT: you have one more question. You would connect a TASCAM control surface unit such as the FW-1884 as both input and output in your DAW. You want the fader movement in the DAW to affect the Tascam, and vice versa. This is done in SONAR as a separate menu item for Control Surface, and I would guess other DAWs would have something comparable.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 03/12/12 10:10 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors