Quote:

Now that's what I don't understand. A CRT consumes significant energy and will wear out, so it makes sense to turn them off or use a screen saver. A modern flat screen LCD or LED monitor uses very little power and has a MTBF that is tens or hundreds of times that of a CRT. I do use screen savers, but only as a security measure. (Okay, they're pretty, too.)

I only use a screen saver on my laptops because you can't turn the monitor off. On the 4 desktops I turn the monitors off.

As far as screen savers, do you find yourself actually sitting and watching the pretty screensaver very often?

I had a customer who constantly downloaded sreensavers and would call me once a month to remove a virus. Finally I explained that while I am happy to take her money every month, screen savers are pretty much stupid. If you are sitting and using the computer, you don't see the screen saver. If the screen saver is on, it goes off when you do as little as breathe on the mouse or keyboard, so short of a situation where you literally sit in front of the computer and do nothing but stare at the picture, why bother? Use the original screen saver. Turn it off. And screen savers don't even matter anymore with LCDs. The C:> image isn't going to burn into an LCD like it did on the phosphorescent tubes.

In an office situation I understand locking the screen when you walk away or using a time out screensaver, but at home, I really don't care if the dog sees my screen....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.