Quote:

This means that you could have a gig that uses hundreds of different settings on the voiceworks, and never have to touch it once because your songs send the specific settings needed by that song!

It can do things like select the correct patch, set the correct key, select the appropriate harmony type, add and subtract additional harmony parts, turn harmonies off and on as needed in the song at exactly the right place (without you having to divert your attention from the song in order to find a pedal and stomp on it)

As I plan my appearance debut I have often thought about how to manage so many MIDI program changes, and whether to do that by physically initiating each myself, or programming them into a pre-recorded sequence. As I mentioned in a previous post, to me there is much more excitement generated by a live musician when the audience can watch the musician trigger each and every discrete sound made. This I think is one of the many appeals of purely acoustic music. Moving into the electronics world of effects/synthesis/sequencing begs the question 'how much automation' - and some of you have given very clever, thoughtful and useful answers.

So with this point of view in mind - I like the idea of being in control of triggering all of those changes myself (which limits, practically, the amount I could use without looking like the comical 'one man band' as someone said - which is to be avoided at all costs). If I am the trigger man for all patch changes - it allows me in many respects to be more spontaneous and creative during a performance than using a pre-recorded sequence with patch changes.

So if you want to be the MIDI program trigger man, and you're a guitar player - what's the best MIDI controller (I would guess it has to be a foot controller) that facilitates storing, saving, and visually viewing the many different patch changes you might want in each different song ?