Originally Posted By: MotleyFool
Guitarhacker, totally great advice...

Sounds like you write / written lyrics?

Any thoughts on books re lyrics? In your mind, how does genre impact how to think about lyrics, if at all?

Motley, yes I do write.... been working on that since I was a kid... really just started to get serious about being a better writer in the last 15 years or so. It's a learned skill for most people. The more you write, and study writing, the better you will get.

Books: I don't have very many. Certainly not like some folks do. I like Jason Blume's books (6 steps) and just picked up Pat Pattison's Writing better lyrics, I also have Robin Frederick's Shortcuts which is not exactly totally about lyric writing.

Joining a group of other songwriters such as TAXI or Nashville Songwriters Assn.... or a local writers group is a great way to get lots of good information. If you are near a big city there's almost a 100% chance there is a writers group there.

Genre probably does affect lyric writing in a huge way. As a country writer, I would really really struggle to write the lyrics to hip hop or rap, for example, and vice versa.

Click on my web site link and navigate to My Music and have a listen to some of the things I write. I have really started working with co-writers in the past 6 to 8 years and that has made a huge difference in my writing, both as a collaborator and as a solo writer.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.