Originally Posted By: tommyad
Janice, Bud, and floyd, Great job by all three of you, though it sounds like many more. That must have been a mixing challenge. It sure was worth it. This style is found in the black churches in north central Florida. They call it sacred steel. This is where Robert Randolph came from. A few years back I had a gig in Key West and right behind the place was the Green Parrot saloon where the Lee Boys were playing. I went there every night on our breaks and watched them tear the roof off that place. This type of music definitely moves people as your rendition of this spiritual does. Congratulations on another job well done. Tom

Tom, that is great info. I'm from south GA and remember as a kid African-American churches where the gospel choir was accompanied by an electric guitar but never heard the lap steel. I'd walk across a field and listen to the music behind the church. The Robert Randolph Family Band played in our home town a couple of years ago. I wish I'd known of that connection since I heard Ry Cooder's version with AA backup singers back in the 70's and thought he'd put that combo together. Thanks for the info and kind remarks regarding the production.

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 01/09/14 05:42 PM.