But the sound is generated by MIDI.

There is nothing wrong with General MIDI either, because there is no sound to any MIDI. All General MIDI does is assign certain voices to certain patch numbers, so patch 1 is always a piano, 33 is always an acoustic bass, and so on.

But GM doesn't tell the synth how the piano, bass, sax or whatever is supposed to sound like.

ImHO MIDI gets a bad name for two reasons, both of which were mentioned:
  1. Cheesy synthesizers - General MIDI or not, there are some terrible sounding synths out there. A MIDI file that sounds great on a Kurzweil might sound terrible on the sofware synth that came with your computer
  2. Step entry - sure some techno/dance songs are supposed to sound robotic, but most music is not. Step entry quantizes the notes, does not enter any dynamics, and for most forms of music, those suck the expression out of it. A skilled musician can indeed massage the step entered file into something expressive, but it's a lot of work and takes a lot of time.

According to Alan Parsons (who should know) MIDI has been embedded into the DNA of virtual every hit record for the past 30 years. So if MIDI is cheesy, almost all hit records sound cheesy. Of course that isn't true.

I like both Real Tracks and MIDI tracks, and use the one that is most appropriate for the song or the track in the song. Mix and match works well (as Mac pointed out).

Just because you bought a new crescent wrench for your toolbox, there is no reason to throw out the hammer.

IMHO The software synth that came with my laptop and the old Virtual Sound Canvas that used to come with BiaB plus all it's followers sound adequate for practicing, but aren't ready for prime time.

There are different solutions to that problem. Some people like software synths, and I prefer an array of hardware synths. Either one works, depending on the quality of the synths you buy.

Here are a couple of clips. I know I've posted them before and I need to start recording on the gig again. They were recorded with an old pre-iPod Archos Juke Box hung a few feet in front of the PA speakers on a gig. Everything but the voice is MIDI. The only reason why it sounds a thin is the mic on the Archos and the bit rate it had to be recorded at:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/mp3/_sunshinesax.mp3

http://www.nortonmusic.com/mp3/_oldtimeguitar.mp3

The backing tracks were made by me with the help of BiaB and then exported to a sequencer where extra parts were added. The lead sax and guitar were played live on the gig by me using a Yamaha WX5 Wind MIDI controller and a Yamaha VL70-m MIDI sound module.

There are no Real Tracks on those clips, because PG hadn't invented them yet at the time I recorded the tracks. But if I did them over, I might add a RT or two as long as they were appropriate to my 'artistic' vision (whatever that means)

Insights and incites by Notes.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks