The bad part about MIDI guitar is there is a slight delay while the pickups analyze the frequency of the vibrating strings.

The newer pickups are much better than they used to be, and I'd advise you to check out the pickups you decide to buy and include the latency in your decision.

On the other hand, if the guitar is a few milliseconds behind you can always advance the MIDI track a few clock tics after you record it.

In the very early days I bought a pitch to MIDI controller to record my sax into MIDI, and it had quite a bit of latency, but moving the MIDI data fixed it. Now I use a Wind MIDI controller that has for all practical purposes no latency.

And although you are 70, it's not too late to start learning. Most experts say that the way to prevent senility is to learn something new, like a new language. And learning musicianship is like learning a new language.

At 70 I wouldn't expect you to become a Jeff Beck but it could be interesting and could even improve your song writing.

I picked up guitar in my mid 60s and am having a great time with it. My guitar playing friends can't believe how quickly I got pretty decent at it. But it is my 7th instrument so I carried a lot of baggage with me.

On the other hand, I'm trying to learn to converse in the Spanish language, and at times it seems pretty hopeless to me. I can get 'baby talk' sentences. But often if I ask a question, I can't understand the answer. But I plan to live to 100 so I have lots of time to improve.

Actually, I plan to live forever - so far - so good wink

Whichever way you go, I hope it works for you.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks