Quote:
Joe, do you have a preference for the sound of the instrument? If so, then choose the one you like better!

I agree with John3. The sound of the instrument that appeals to you the most should be the deciding factor. They both relate in some manner to the guitar, but that really shouldn’t be a major consideration.

For example, a 5 string banjo has the middle 3 strings tuned the same as a guitar. D-G-B. A mandolin has a backward tuning of the lower four strings of a guitar. E-A-D-G on a guitar vs. G-D-A-E on a mandolin.

I’ve never found either piece of information particularly helpful in playing either instrument.

I play guitar, mandolin and banjo in descending levels of competence. The style of banjo playing that has always interested me the most is the 3 finger picking style vs. clawhammer. To get even decent at that style you have to master the alternating thumb, forward roll and backward roll until they’re second nature without even thinking about it.

That’s a lot harder to do than it sounds. It takes incessant drills for months on end.

Whichever one you choose, don’t listen to anyone that tells you to retune the instrument to more approximate the guitar. If you’re going to tackle a new instrument, do it in the proper tuning or leave it alone.

I’d also advise against the 6 string banjo tuned like a guitar. It’s not a guitar and it’s not a banjo and it’s annoying when someone shows up with one at a jam session. It’s a novelty instrument that’s only appropriate for one out of fifty songs.

If you’re comfortable with a flatpick, go with a mandolin. You don’t have to very good to be able to play some decent sounding music.

With 3 finger style banjo, you have to be pretty damn good to even be tolerated in a jam session. They’re too loud and obnoxious unless you can play them well.

If you can play them at an advanced level, they’re fantastic. If you’re not able to play them at an advanced level, do everyone a favor and leave them at home.

Why do you think there are so many banjo jokes? wink