There's a key for the map that I cropped that explains the colors, depending on what's getting hit the hardest. If you watch it in realtime you'd see those ones from the US are a reaction to the DOS attack; they get hit with tons of requests and in response they look like they are sending out a DOS for a second (due to the amount of data they suddenly generate) .. then it goes away. When it stops all together the server may be down.. never good.

This is a national map, and our server rack is in a co-hosted location, so I couldn't single them out using this map. A bunch of hosting companies have equipment there because of the fiber cabling, backup generators, climate/dust control, etc.
Rooms full of servers get hot. It is 9 degrees outside here today for the high and we have the A/C running in our development/testing/corporate servers room!

We're pretty good at keeping things locked down though. The only way to connect to our production servers 50 miles away is to first remote into our corporate system. That's the only IP allowed through the production firewall to begin with. First safety step of many, many layers.
Serious business.

Unfortunately we have companies that pay us to maintain their servers .. and they have terrible server protection on the servers they are leasing, so I do get my fair share of time fixing things when they've been compromised .. not on our system, but on others.

I'm actually head of the web/software development division where I work. And as such I am more involved in the infrastructure side of things than I care to be sometimes.

Last edited by rharv; 01/30/15 01:47 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome