That's about it to cover my understanding.

I never had a job where I enjoyed everything. There were always tasks I didn't like, but one needs to have a bread and butter job.

If you play metal for your enjoyment, but country pays better? Who cares? I'd even risk a bet that doing a good job at country could even improve your metal playing. These styles are not so different as they would appear for the occasional listener. But as a musician you need the bread and butter job to pay your livelihood. Maybe your proficiency playing jazz opens the opportunity to play country or rock.

A sell out would be for me if that job would compromise ethical behaviour.
Playing a different style of music is not compromising ethical behaviour. Setting your own boundaries of freedom by defining them too narrow is the first step. But then that is your fault if you set the boundaries too narrow. Three rules:
1. Do what you like to do.
2. Do what gives you the freedom to follow number 1 without breaking number 3.
3. Follow the ten commandments to sustain your ethics.*)

*) This is not meant in the religious way. If you're non-religious, skip the two about the superior being -- or reword them for your purpose without selling them out. smile The third one could be something like: 3. Take your day of rest for a) body, b) brain, c) soul.

Last edited by GHinCH; 06/15/15 01:43 PM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build