Quote:
Should I be concerned about the lag between my MIDI input and the output in my headphones? It seems like the input is being recording "on time," despite the MIDI output lagging behind. But that could mess me up when recording...

Again, the MIDI input and what you are calling the "Midi Output" have a delay.
It is not really the "MIDI Output" that is lagging. The MIDI is getting output to the (soft) synth almost instantaneously. What is causing the lag is the computer taking that MIDI signal and generating a sound to match.
A hardware synth would have no problem doing it without you noticing any lag, but your computer is taking a second or two (or a half, or a quarter) to generate the actual sound.
I think this is the lag you hear and it is caused by inputting LIVE MIDI and expecting the sound to be generated instantly from the computer.

This is why ASIO makes such a huge difference; it is the generation of the AUDIO sound that is the actual issue, not the MIDI path at all.

The reason it seems the MIDI is being recorded 'on time' is because IT IS. The lag happens afterwards when the MIDI is required to generate audio ..
MIDI is a trigger. Your synth creates audio from the trigger.
Hardware and ASIO synths handle this trigger very quickly and generate sound.
MME has a buffer (lag) and generates it slower.

NOTE: this is only for real time MIDI input. In other words, as you noticed; the actual MIDI data is recorded accurately. The next time you play it back, everything gets buffered and the 'recorded' MIDI is suddenly in time again. This is by design.

It is only when sending MIDI to your computer and trying to make it generate the synth sound in real time that this is a problem .. it adds extra load/response requirements that most basic setups are not ready for.
If the system can buffer everything (and not need 'instant' response) ASIO/MME doesn't really matter too much. The buffers line everything up.
But when playing along with a song (or recording alongside to existing tracks) you want 'instant response' from MIDI IN to AUDIO Out .. and ASIO is the most likely solution.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome