Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Originally Posted By: pedwards2932
I agree just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you need to. A good vocalist should be able to do it in 3 takes and maybe several extra punch ins for harder parts. How did they do it before they got all this digital wizardry? I doubt 100 takes would make an appreciable difference in performance other than wearing out the vocalist.

I agree with Herb 100%

I don't think what you are saying is what Herb was saying though. Just my opinion. I'm not going to speak for him.

For top 10 hits, comping is what they do. It's not "I'm sure some do" they ALL do MANY, MANY takes.

For what we do, it's probably not necessary. The reason I say "probably" is, if it's what someone wants to work on, go for it. smile

It's all fine in my book. I'm not commenting on what someone else should or shouldn't do. smile

Well, they used to have one mic in the studio and there was ONE TAKE.... learn the song, rehearse the song, then sing it into the mic. Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Kitty Wells, Bob Wills, Elvis, Patsy Cline,..... the list goes on and on...... all recorded that way and sound just fine. In fact, compare Cline's one take vocals to any of the singers out today.

Personally, I think this whole comping thing is a ruse. Kinda like the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz movie, all smoke and mirrors designed to impress someone..... they record all those takes to make it look like they are really a super audiophile (and they may be for all I know) ... to the folks with the money..... in the case of 100 tracks of one lead vocal...... I'd wager they might pick the best one out of the first 5 or so..... cut and paste a few places, essentially comping the track in much the same way I have done with 3 to 5 tracks.....run some transparent Melodyne on a few other nits and call it done..... but then hold off for a few days so they can then say... hey, I slaved over these tracks for the past 5 days or two weeks, or whatever...... by the way, here's my bill for labor.

How do you even listen to 100 tracks and say, .... in the 2nd verse, line two, word number 3 last syllable of the 3 syllable word is the best out of all the 100 tracks.... give me a freaking break!!!

I'm not a professional singer by any stretch of the imagination, but even I can get a vocal track right and nearly phrase perfect in under 5 takes. But.... I have also rehearsed and learned the song before I hit the record button. Beyond 5 takes, I'm simply taking up more valuable hard drive space and accomplishing nothing useful. I will listen to the tracks, look at them, and decide which one becomes the lead and which ones become the layers for thickening. I generally pick the one that needs less work, less fixing, and is generally better right out of the gate. However, there's really not that much difference between them all. That's why I can easily use them to layer and double the lead without the need to fix them.

So.... if the artist cuts 100 tracks for the lead vocal..... how many dozens more are recorded for the harmony vocals?

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/03/15 08:47 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.