Originally Posted By: CocoTex
This must have been asked/covered before, but I don't find it.

I'm a songwriter, and solo folky-country-ish performer (I ain't all that, but I have a good time and have a small, twisted following). I'm new to BIAB, and I've started making arrangements for some existing songs, deconstructing and reconstructing. I've rarely played with an accompanist, if so usually just a harmonica or bass, let alone a whole band, and this is giving me a great opportunity to see what the songs might be if enhanced/supported by a band.

I don't need anything album quality, but I'd like the songs to be relatively mastered. I have one ready to go now. I could get a studio here to do it, but I thought I'd see if anyone here wanted to give it a shot. Trying to mix it is driving me insane. Many, many days. I'm probably too invested in the song and my voice, etc., to be able to see/hear it reasonably.

Original song, lyric heavy, story, 7 piece band and my vocal.

If anyone is interested, shout.

Either way, thanks for your time. This whole experience has completely changed me and my understanding of music.

Andy

CocoTex

Don't pull out all your hair. In BIAB with a full drum set, Kick, Snare, Toms, Open Hi Hat, Crash and ride, and possibly a Closed Hi Hat, all recorded in stereo with at least 4 variations and 7 instruments mixed with your vocal that's a lot of sound. I would choke on mixing it down without a CONTROL SURFACE (something to control multiple channels and sub mixes at the same time), and automate the mix within your DAW.

But, I don't do it that way, I do the following.

I strip out 4 of those 7 instruments and get the song rock soliid. Just use the Drums, Bass, Keys or guitar tracks. Set the levels of those instruments. Render those 3 tracks down to a stereo file (mute the other 4 instrument tracks before you render this mix) Listen and sing along to see if you have solved your level problems with those 3 tracks. If you have not solve the problems with those 3 tracks remix and render a new version to sing over. Repeat this procedure until you have a three piece stereo mix that you like to sing with. Now record your vocals with these three tracks leave the other channels muted. Now, you can add (unmute)one instrument track at a time. You have simplified your solution to leveling problems because you can ride one channel while listening to the mix, all the way through the song. I usually find that after one or two passes I can set a volume and leave it there. Remember you can also PAN an instrument to the left or right to move it away from the lead vocal. + -15 to 20 is usually sufficient. In some cases as little as + -5 will do the trick.

I always produce a 4 track version of my original songs, Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitar, or Rhythm Keys, and the lead Vocals. I do not wait until I finish the complete arrangement. After listening to this 4 track arrangement my production could take a whole different direction. (Especially if I record background Vocals. But, that is a different topic all together.)

I am a singer/songwriter too and those 3 piece backing band versions of my songs rendered .wav files allows me to play my guitar and sing with that track, and have other musicians join in.

Hope that helped. Good Luck mixing.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"