OK, I'm doing John Coltrane's "Mr. P.C."

Problem 1

I set the filters to
  • Jazz
  • 4/4
  • Sw8
  • Real
  • No Soloists

I unchecked "Include Similar" per Peter Gannon's suggestion and I get 3 styles _GYPSYJF, _GYPSYCN, and _GYPSYJD, none of which are appropriate.

I uncheck "Include Similar" and I get hundreds of styles including flok, bluegrass, country, soul, R&B, Funk, Lite Pop, Reggae, Celtic, Synth Pop, Blues, Latin, Modern Pop and more including hundreds of Ev8 styles (when the filter still says Sw8).

Even if I click the "Jazz" Genre heading, the fourth style is country, the 15th is Ev8 and so on.

Putting "Mr. P.C." in the familiar song dialog brings up the Gypsy Jazz first and no logical order to me underneath.

And what about songs that aren't in the database. There must be millions of them. Before "Mr. P.C." I did Pat Metheney's "Missouri Uncompromised" which turned up nothing.

"Miss Ann" brought up Little Richard, and nothing for Eric Dolphy.

"Minority" brought up Green Day, not Gigi Gryce

"Milano" turned up nothing, nor did "Midwestern Nights Dream (Metheny), "Midnight Mood" (Zawinul) and dozens of others.

Unless every song ever written is in the database, the search for song title is worthless.

Problem 2

So I scroll to jazz styles to find what I think might be a bop style and to test I want to click "Play Using Current Chordsheet For Song". This seems appropriate, but instead of the mm=256 for "Mr. P.C." it changes the tempo to 190 and I have to re-type 256 in the box to try it out. Same for all the the other styles.

With thousands of styles to choose from, this extra typing becomes a huge time sink (not to mention carpal tunnel bait).

For me, browsing the old style picker box was much better. On the other hand, I'm sure for others the new one is fine.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks