Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#322219 12/01/15 01:27 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Have had a quick go with BIAB 2016 abd like the changes very much. Particularly pleased to see the big band horns style which is very good overall (Crooner Big Band 9-part Horns). However although most of the chordings worked well i tried a song where part of the chords went Bm7 followed by E7. I found that the horns were playing a G sharp in the Bm7 chord which you definitely don't want as you need that for the E7 chord following. Strange as all the other chords in the tune were fine. I was trying 'Baby It's Cold Outside' in the key of D. Otherwise sounding really good. I also tried substituting a straight Bm for my Bm7 but the horns still harmonised with G sharps which is wrong.

If PG Music want me to send the chart I can do so.

Great work though on all the improvements

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Also try Bm9 and see if that omits the sixth. I haven't heard your problem on a minor seventh, but with a dominant seventh, I often find adding the ninth makes BIAB play correctly. Worth a quick try.

Then if you still hear it, I suggest you make a short recording and send it to PG Music Support support@pgmusic.com along with the number of the RealTrack(s) playing the wrong note, or even just tell them which RealTrack. This has been known to happen before, and they can fix it in a patch.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I will try that Matt. However BIAB putting a maj6th into a Bm7 chord would always be incorrect as it kills any II-V effect. Thanks for the suggestion though

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Unless that sixth is voiced as a 13 in a Bm13. That functions fine as a ii in a ii V.

I agree though, you need the minor seventh to sound and I'm not suggesting otherwise.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
))
Great work though on all the improvements

Thanks. For the Bm7 | E7 vs E7 Issue,
try regenerating the song, you'll hopefully
Get something different.

For soling and background tracks like this,
Band-in-a-Box uses the chords as a guide,
but not as an absolute.

This usually works well musically because
Musicians solo like that too. So in this case
BB has decided the 2-5 is close to the same
as a 5-5.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for responding Peter. Yes I did try regenerating the tracks a couple of times and the same thing occurred. I disagree with soloists treating chords 2-5 as close to 5-5 though. In the sequence I tried all the other big band chords were working well though.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Just in response to Matt's idea of trying Bm9 in place of Bm7. Just tried that and the horns still but a G sharp in my Bm7. It's such a shame as all the other chord renditions are good. I would have to fade that bar right down or maybe change the notes using Melodyne.

The big band horns in general are great though and represent a big achievement for BIAB.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
))) The big band horns in general are great though and represent a big achievement for BIAB.

Thanks

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Funky, when I get my new drive from PG Music, I want to try this to hear for myself what you hear. Just to be sure, what instrument plays that G#, and what RealTrack is it?

Veteran
Veteran
I'm really looking forward to messing with the big band horns! They sound awesome!

L
Expert
Expert
L
Can't wait to try Sinatra classics with it.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Just responding again to Matt. the RealTrack I used was CROONR1.STY I think the trumpets were producing the G sharp on my Bm7 chord.

Just to add that I tried another play through today of the song and it has three basic repeats and today the Bm7 - E7 problem didn't happen until the 3rd time through the chords (I always use one big long chord sheet and never use the chorus/tag ending).

I froze the horns for this generation of the songs and then output the wave files. Placed them into Reaper and did a bit of cut and pasting over the problem bars.

There was another funny output where the horns decided to pay a long prominent G over a chord of D which was very odd. Anyway it only happened once and I cut the bar out and inserted another.

I think the big band style horns overall are great. Probably the best thing to do is to generate a few times. Freeze and note best bits then output them each time and then stitch together the best version from all the different wave files.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
We horn players just can't be trusted to adhere to the chord tones...

When you make those audio files, keep examples of what is happening, just in case. When I get my shipment, I'm check out what you are saying.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK Matt. I'll keep the BIAB file so should be able to repeat the error. I could also send you the BIAB file and see if it occurs on your install. As I said I managed a version with it not happening so much today.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
We horn players just can't be trusted to adhere to the chord tones...

Matt, you've just changed one of my standard life examples forever.

In an effort to teach my kids that trust isn't something you can appropriate across the board just because someone has been trustworthy in one way, I've told them:

"There are people that I'd trust with my wallet, but not with a secret...

People I'd trust with my car, but not with my wife... (etc)"

now I'm going to have to add:

"And there are musicians I'd trust to play my guitar... but not to adhere to the chord tones..."

Ba-boom! (tsh!)

;-)

Veteran
Veteran
Interesting insight Pat.

I now appreciate those few friends I would trust with my wallet, car AND my wife a whole lot more.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Did this ever get solved?

Apprentice
Apprentice
This thread about the horns adding things is just too close to a real-life situation with my boss, Lawrence Welk! He was very much a talker/thinker like Yogi Berra. So I must add this. One day at the end of the rehearsals for our TV show, he came up to me and said . . . "Chonny!" "Is dat da same trumbet you had for dis morning's rehearsal??" I said . . "Well, Yes it is Mr. Welk"! He then said . . "I dont' tink so"! "Dis one has more notes on it than da udder one!!!" I just agreed and replied that "I'd fix it right away"!! JZ

Having fun!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Does CROONR1 successfully hold a chord? I'm getting a rest instead.

-Mel
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: QuipRosen
Does CROONR1 successfully hold a chord? I'm getting a rest instead.

I just tried it and it holds a chord for me, using an ellipsis (Dm11...)
How did you specify the hold?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics81,983
Posts740,086
Members38,652
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DaveHornet, EnzoJames, BIAB4Me, Al TH 02, Raenil
38,651 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)