Originally Posted By: bluage
"guitarhacker"...

However, there is one nagging question I have: if, in the sound design of your song, you decided to minimize the volume of certain tracks that you deemed subordinate to the total mix, such as the six acoustic/electric rhythm guitars and the five vocals, why, then, did you include them in the first place? frown

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

There is a reason for including all the tracks. Let me discuss the vocals in particular.

There's 5 tracks.... one up front as the lead and the other 4 hanging back. If I used just the one lead it would sound OK. However, if I have 2 more tracks exactly like the lead.... phrase for phrase or mighty close, and if I pan them opposite to the extreme, and if I keep them so low you really can't hear them clearly, here's what happens. The stereo spread is there, and they add a fullness with out any obvious doubling or comb filtering being obvious. In the chorus, I add 2 more tracks which are harmony and that also adds to the fullness and fatness of the vocal without having it sound like it's the Statler brothers singing harmony or the local barbershop quartet providing harmony. I don't want to hear the individual harmony voices. I simply want the fullness of the vocals to increase without it sounding like 2 more people just started singing. I was kind of sloppy with the vocals in Whiskey for Breakfast. Normally when I do that, I spend quite a bit of time making sure the vocals are dead, spot on in sync with each other. As it was I only did a few quick punches to get close, and moved on.

The result is that it's a very subtle but slightly fuller sound. Quite popular and it's used a lot in the music you hear in the pop and country world.

Think of it a viewing a pyramid from the side.... The lead is at the top, and the low leads are spread wide at the bottom, down further, with the harmonies up the sides a bit and maybe not spread quite as wide.

The guitars are similar.... they are layered. Same basic principle and idea and result. There's a fatness without the obvious presence that one would have to deal with having and trying to mix 6 guitars and have them all audible and distinct. In this way, 2 guitars are primary and distinct, while the others are simply layering a bed that is underlying the music.

Regarding levels..... in my mixing, if it's not needed, I have it pulled completely down. In fact, in a project only the bass and drums and acoustic guitars will tend to be in the mix all the time. Everything else can come and go. The secret is getting the various things in and out without having it be noticeable to the point that it's obvious and calls attention to itself when it happens.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.