Quote:

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t a C2 chord consist of the notes C-E-G-D in any order (or inversion), i.e. C-D-E-G, E-D-G-C, etc?

Doesn’t a Csus2 chord consist of the notes C-D-G in any order?

Doesn’t a C9 chord consist of the notes C-E-G-Bb-D in any order?

Isn’t a Cadd9 the same as a C2?

Isn’t a Csus9 the same as a Csus2?

C2 in its simplest form relates "C and D" only, as an interval, which is still a chord. C2 as a triad with the "2" substituting for the third is the same as Gsus4, so in this regard "C2" is unnecessary. C2 as a triad with the third is the same as a C triad with an added 9th, C(9). Tertian harmony shows stacked thirds, used extensively for many hundreds of years, as a basis for chord building. The most popular form of chord suffixes for many years has included an array of inconsistencies that serve more to perplex than to concisely notate up to and including the 13th. Use of parentheses only for added notes, the accidentals only for roots, and the use of only "+" and "-" for alterations greatly provides a much clearer picture of the exactness with which the most complex chords can be abbreviated. The order of the notes may vary but are taught for clarity in the logical series "1,3,5,7,9,11,13". You are correct in the spelling of the C9, more specifically, the C dominant 9th chord. The use of "sus" is only necessary for the "sus4" chords, and thus, can be abbreviated to "4". So a "Csus9" could more easily be written and read with an indicated "C" and a "9" placed over a "4", both numbers being positioned equally above and below the mid axis of the root. The spelling is C,F,G,Bb,D.

Greetings in the Resurrected Christ from the resurrected angel of Exodus 23:20.