I have to separate "working on music" from "playing music" or "recording music". I will often play music alone (I love to sit at the piano), but also love playing and singing with other folks. Being director of music at my church gives me that outlet.

But "working with music" tends to be a solo experience. In fact it's pretty boring for someone else to watch over your shoulder while you tweak a track to perfection.

Recording the tracks can be a group exercise with friends and was always fun with a lot of laughter in the process, but the actual processing of those tracks becomes a solitary endeavor. I think it's the nature of the business, unless your music buddy(s) are extremely patient.

Paul, you mentioned church. You should find out if someone else at your church has musical interests and get together with them occasionally. I've found lots of folks who "used to play" come out of the woodwork and pick up their instrument again just to be able to play again. Just ask around. Try to start a praise band. I did that with me and my buddy Chris, but it was just me first until I announced I was doing it and Chris came forward. Over the past 20 years, we've written probably about 20 original songs together and played countless others for church services, talent shows, open mike, retreats, etc. That two person band grew to about nine by the time we finished as others asked if they could play with us (with varying degrees of talent). Our mantra was "play what you know".

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com