Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Sensational. Not a lot wrong with this at all. I did really like the lyrics.

Whenever I get lyrics that work out well, I worry that I'm accidentally re-writing something I've heard before. But in this case, they're intentionally derivative, because I wanted to try keeping to the traditional language of the spiritual.

Quote:
The punctuation of the horns throughout added further dimension.

I actually put in the horns before I figured out the vocal. There are some places I thought I really should drop the horns (or at least duck them below the vocal), but they're so darned cool I just left them there.

Quote:
Vocally, it might be easy to break-away from the very straight delivery and try introducing 3rd's as a variation (instead of "and get on board" try "and get on bo-ard" lifting the last syllable by a 3rd).

Yeah, rhythmic variety is a good idea.

One of the challenges I've set for myself is writing the songs backwards from my normal process. That means building the backing first, then creating a melody, and then fitting lyrics to the melody, with the rule of no changing the melody.

That leads to a lot of frustration in the lyric writing step, but it's a good exercise.

So I'll leave that line in place "as is", if only because I'm too lazy to re-record it. wink

Thanks!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?