#468063 04/19/18 10:11 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
Dave Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
yesterday, I downloaded release 516 to what I thought was a reasonable place, bb/data/updates.

The download worked as expected, but when I clicked on it to start the update, it quickly failed. I'm not exactly sure of the message, but I think it said that I didn't have a version of BIAB 2018 in the BB library.

I terminated the update, hoping to get back to the start, but it mentioned that I needed administrator privileges, even though I was logged on under my Administrator Id. I couldn't do anything. The BIAB showing in the BB library didn't have the proper 'logo' and wouldn't run at all. I tried to delete it and got the administrator message again.

I was able, finally, to get the update to work by copying an older 2018 bbw.exe from a backup to the bb folder, moving the update program out of the update folder to the desktop and starting from there. It worked just fine.

If the bb/data/updates folder isn't the right place to download new updates, what is?

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Dave #468072 04/19/18 11:36 AM
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Dave,

It doesn't really matter which folder you download update patches to, as long as you run them. I just download them to my Downloads folder, run them, then delete them. You don't really need a backup copy of an update patch for later, as you can always re-download it from our website if you ever reinstall BIAB and need to install the update again.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Dave #468073 04/19/18 11:46 AM
Expert
Expert
HI Dave

Myself personally have made my own place to download BIAB updates to, but not inside C:/ BB. folder at all.
Just C:/ BIAB Updates, here I usually keep at least the last 3 .
I can always reinstall the last known good version should the need arise.
As a mater of good practice I do not put anything in the C;/BB folder except what the installation program puts there. I even save my songs SGU/MGU to an outside folder.

Just my thoughts smile
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Dave #468088 04/19/18 01:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Another way to say what I think Kent is saying is that it doesn't matter where you run the update file FROM. As has been said, it also doesn't matter where you download and save the update file.

I keep my downloaded updates (the last few, like Jim said) on a completely different drive from my BIAB installation (Drive H, in my system)

When I run the update (from drive H, but it could be from anywhere), the setup file only needs to know three things: the drive letter and path to the main BIAB installation, the drive letter and path to the RealDrums folder, and the drive letter and path to the RealTracks folder. Please check that you did this correctly. In my case, since I have the RealTracks and RealDrums on yet another different drive, I put them in these folders:

G:/BB/RealTracks
G:/BB/Drums

Note that there is nothing in G:/BB except these two folders.

My main BIAB program is here:
F:/BB

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI Dave

Myself personally have made my own place to download BIAB updates to, but not inside C:/ BB. folder at all.
Just C:/ BIAB Updates, here I usually keep at least the last 3 .
I can always reinstall the last known good version should the need arise.
As a mater of good practice I do not put anything in the C;/BB folder except what the installation program puts there. I even save my songs SGU/MGU to an outside folder.

Just my thoughts smile Mike

Ever confused what to keep; so can i always delete all older stuff?:
Got a few older PG Audiophile harddisks, usually with the plusses and bonusses on board

On my PC a BIAB 2012 folder containing 20PAK BB Add-ons.exe, RealTracks Bonus Set 2.exe, RealTracks Set 73.exe, RealTracks Set 124.exe. Latin Pianist.exe, and a 2015 folder with 2015_49pak_1.exe, 2015_49pak_2.exe. -F

D
Dave Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Thanks Kent
Iam sure that I had previously downloaded to my Download folder, but this time I decided to use what I thought was the PGMusic "recommended" location, bb/data/updates.

Running from this location failed.

when I moved the update to the desktop it worked fine. It looks like trying to run the update from within the c/bb folder was an issue.

Windows 10 (1909)
Dave #468144 04/20/18 02:11 AM
Expert
Expert
HI Fiddler

I was only talking about deleting the older monthly updates from my separate update folder as in fact you only need the last stable one,

Annual upgrades new versions etc I always install over the original in order to not loose any bonus material from past versions .
I my case I install everything to the pc in its default locations,

I also back up copy my entire current C:/bb folder to an external usb hard drive about 4 times a year. So worst case I copy it back and just run the latest update.

As an extra I also keep the original versions of each purchase as downloaded, complete with its downloaded original release update. and the last update for that version. Not much point in this step as the licence tickets in windows will have been over written by the licence for the new version when installed on top

Any thoughts on this last para anyone?

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
D
Dave Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Mike
I agree that keeping the last update is useful as it will save a download if you ever have to revert back. I have my original install on an external drive as well. Keeping backups is essential.

My issue is not with the backup / update process; it works quite well, but with why my install failed this time from the bb/data/update library.

Windows 10 (1909)
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI Fiddler .......
I was only talking about deleting the older monthly updates from my separate update folder as in fact you only need the last stable one ... As an extra I also keep the original versions of each purchase as downloaded, complete with its downloaded original release update. and the last update for that version. Not much point in this step as the licence tickets in windows will have been over written by the licence for the new version when installed on top. Any thoughts on this last para anyone?

Mike

Pfff, so i must get me an even BIGGER curver crate, still have a lot of floppies from ATARI times, CDs, DVDs booklets and now harddisks ..... LoL.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics81,902
Posts739,556
Members38,644
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
kssyblls01, maxtern, 1Oleg1, Delta 8 Austin, tony10000
38,644 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 154
musocity 106
DC Ron 96
rsdean 90
dcuny 81
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.