Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
The only reason you can hear any of his vocal effects in this song is the sparse arrangement. Focus there first, then worry about the vocal effects.

There is a time and place for sparse music and a time and place for dense, heavy, loud music. You've made it clear in the past, Scott, that you prefer the light airy kinds of music. No problems there. But this is a "discussion" about how vocal processing affects the sound of songs these days - how much a part of the "modern sound" is determined by the way the vocals are processed... A sparse production with a thin, light reverb, no compression vocal isn't going to get close to capturing the overall sound presented by these examples.

We agree on one thing that all kinds of music have their place. As for my stating my preference for light and airy music, I think you might have me confused with someone else. A very brief listen through my soundcloud tracks will reveal that I probably lean the other way than what you are stating is my preference.

The point that I'm making in this thread is that these type of effects on relatively quiet or subdued vocals; like Ed Sheeran's vocals in the example; really only have their place when the arrangement is sparse to begin with. If the mix was any more dense in the example song - say there was a keyboard added in to the mix, or leads throughout, ability to hear the effects on the vocals would quickly fade. The only time this is not the case is when the effects are intentionally over the top and they are not in the case of the example song given.

Floyd, I've listened to your songs, and you do not 'over-arrange'. You show restraint and taste in your use of BIAB and arrangements. It's clear you practice critical listening to existing songs, and apply that learning to your arrangements. Focus on vocal effects would work in your arrangements; not saying that's necessary.

Sorry if you feel I wasn't following the point of the thread.

I did not intend to misrepresent your preferred listening habits. The few songs (of your own) that you have linked to over the years were, as I recall, more on the "airy" side. And any examples of music that you have noted as "things you are listening to" seem to be along those lines as well. I might have missed any references to "heavier" songs...

These discussions - about "modern" music - and what that means and why BIAB users don't produce that - originally referenced mostly Modern Country - which owes a lot to current Pop and R&B/rap/hip-hop... Those songs ARE generally "production intense". Caaron (who I consider a "student" of the modern sound) has implied that a large "problem" in attaining that sound for the home recording group is "missing" the vocal sound that is a big part of what creates the "sparkle" of pro level recordings. Lacking access to mega-bucks equipment for recording and processing vocal makes that a hard nut. We can give it our best try...

The example I provided was based on the fact that I was able to find the Ed Sheeran "vocal only" video and that can be compared with the video of the final product. I readily admit that it is easier to note the vocal processing in the final product because it is a sparse arrangement. It was intended to help people (we in the BIAB community - and especially those attempting to recreate the "modern sound") hear an example of vocal processing that they might not have considered. IF we could find a similar vocal-only recording of a current Country radio song - with the typical BIG explosive bunch-of-guitars chorus - I am fairly certain that it would be way-more-processed than the typical home recordist, too. Probably even more so than the Sheeran vocal - in order to make it "pop" and cut through all those explosive guitars....