Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This easy-to-follow video clip by Kenny Gioia shows how to use drum samples in Reaper and drive them by MIDI notes to create rhythm.

As I see it, this has two REALLY EXCELLENT uses from BIAB's perspective.

ONE
BIAB's MIDI-only styles have MIDI drum patterns already created and mapped to MIDI notes. BIAB uses General MIDI percussion mapping. This mapping is defined in the below pdf whose content was obtained from here.

General MIDI Keyboard Map for Percussion (pdf)

Using this Reaper tutorial, it is then only necessary to...

1) Open BIAB and generate MIDI drums for a song.

2) Load that MIDI Drum track into Reaper.

3) Assign audio drum sounds/samples that can be triggered by the BIAB-generated MIDI drums.

**There are many audio clips of drum and percussion sounds across many genres that are freely available on the internet.

Quote:
NOTE: By default, BIAB will automatically replace MIDI drums with Realdrums. To disable this...

(a) a global setting is found in Realdrum preferences

(b) in BIAB 2018, a song-by-song override of Realdrums can be obtained by right-clicking and the drum track and selecting "Force to MIDI drums".

TWO
At the end of each audio file that BIAB uses to generate its Realdrums Drum track, the individual sounds of each percussion used in that track's creation is found. These drum audio files are in \bb\Drums.

Should the need arise to create a drum rhythm to complement a BIAB-generated Realdrum drum track, these sampled drum sounds could be used to compile a rhythm that is a 100% accurate sound match with the Realdrum track created by BIAB.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, I use #1 all of the time. This technique can be used with any DAW and drum sound source.

If you are using a non-GM drum sound source there are drum note conversion patches for most all such drums. Groove Monkee has their MIDI drum loops available for many different drum sources.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Noel, I use #1 all of the time. This technique can be used with any DAW and drum sound source.

If you are using a non-GM drum sound source there are drum note conversion patches for most all such drums. Groove Monkee has their MIDI drum loops available for many different drum sources.

Thanks for the information, Mario.

I'm just starting to wrap my head around the many possibilities of this now.

I appreciate the information.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If anyone is interested, I have put together a little Reaper file that has a 3-part drum rhythm set up.

This is for 64-bit Reaper.

"Drum Machine" example set-up (zipped)

I've set this up using a multichannel stereo mixer so that each drum has its own independent volume control. One of the advantages of this is the volume sliders can be automated and controlled by envelopes (which I've also added to the file).

Here is the file. Simply unzip the folder keeping everything in the folder together and then navigate Reaper to open the "Drum Machine 1.RPP" file.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have done option 1 before using Groove Agent, the drum VST that comes with Cubase.

I've been wanting to do the second as well. The one thing I noticed is that not all of the BIAB drum demos have individual hits. Especially the more electronic style drums do not have them and those are the ones I really wanted to mess around with for more modern sounding songs.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Samuel,

I don't know if this is useful information but the guy on the below Youtube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MSd7cYb2o

... has 600+ EDM orientated sampled drum sounds available for download on his Soundcloud site. He has a heap of EDM he's created there, too.

If you're interested, just go to...

https://soundcloud.com/7rystan/600-free-edm-samples-drums

And click on the "FREE DOWNLOAD" link. If I recall correctly, it's necessary to subscribe (it's free).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Related:
Many years ago I received permission to share the DR-005 drum machine sample player (from fXpansion) on this forum.

The package can be found here -
www.masteringmatters.com/stuff/dr005.zip
The license key should be in a text file in the zip package.

Assign drum samples to a 'track' inside this sample player, assign that track to a MIDI note, and use the mixer to pan and adjust volume as needed.
No need to leave PGMusic products, as this works in BiaB/RB and it should work in Reaper/Sonar etc just as well.

Image:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dr_005_by_fxpansion
It is a 32 bit plugin

The zip file has confused some people in the past. When you first unzip it you get a text file with the license key and another zip file with the plugin dll. You have to unzip the plugin zip file again to access the dll.
Though designed for drums, it can be used to trigger any samples you assign to it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, rharv.

I appreciate being reminded about this. It seems that at last I'm getting into midi drum programming!

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,963
Posts739,411
Members38,626
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Lzn, The Rock Opera, Nplus, natescape, JDC
38,626 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)