Does the contract address what happens to the songs you wrote while under contract AFTER the contract expires?

It has to be in there somewhere stating that either they get to keep control or the song ownership is returned to you.

If they are asking for an accounting, it's likely because they get to keep all the stuff you wrote. But you need to check.

All the contracts I have signed have a reversion clause in them. Essentially, the publisher OWNS the song I signed to them...BUT.... they are obligated to have it published within the time frame of the contract. If the publisher fails to have the song released commercially, they have failed to live up to their part of the deal and at the end of the term, I can write to request the song rights be returned to me. I have had to do this on several occasions. The courts recognize your right to ownership if the publisher fails to keep their part of the deal. HOWEVER.... this clause has to be present or the publisher can argue that you gave up all rights to the song in perpetuity. And you would essentially be SOOL as they say.

If they get to legally keep the songs..... my advice.... learn from it and move on.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.