Originally Posted By: beatmaster

A decent DAC will blow away most sound cards any day.
I'm not a believer in "Upsampling" - to work as describes it'd have to use an enhancer or exciter to replace the missing information to make it sound better.

Yes I believe it does have an enhancer, the different dac chip Sabre, Wolfson etc. enhance the sound with each having there own individual sound .

This is getting more interesting. We are in agreement that upsampling makes no difference in the sound. First, stereo separation was mentioned. Yes, this would change the sound but can also be done in software (Ozone, for example). Now this last post mentions "enhancing the sound".

So I have to wonder, what are these DAC units doing, especially when they sound different from each other, and is that a good thing? I don't think so.

This reminds me of the old SoundBlaster cards. They had their own sound enhancement - I forget the exact term they used - and it was critical to turn that off if you wanted to make a good mix. For just listening, sure, enhance away and buy what sounds good to you. But I still don't understand why anyone would use this to mix or create music. What am I missing?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors