Hi floyd,

What an excellent song (again)!

Everything about this gleams…. your composing, your singing, the arrangement, the production…. everything! It’s a great hook, too. Before I listened to the song, I sat here for a couple of minutes reflecting on the title. It’s amazing how those three words, “White Line Lullaby”, open a treasure chest of lyric possibilities.

Some of the thoughts that occurred to me as I reflected were: highway, cars, trucks, long-distance driver, cocaine, lulled to sleep, jet stream, sports field, athletics track, crest of an ocean wave, surfing, wake of a boat, etc…

Then I started reading your lyrics and discovered that the ‘white line lullaby’ is about a restless soul who is unable to settle down and relationships. This twist was not something that occurred to me! Nice!

Those first four lines in verse 1, are powerful!

Quote:
the soul of a bandit, a rodeo heart
the highway in my shoes
one eye on the front door
a suitcase full of blues

These are amongst the best ‘showing’ lines that I have ever read.

Rather than just saying “he’s a constantly restless man who lives by his own set of rules”, you’ve painted a truly inspired picture of this guy. By the end of line four, this man was firmly planted in my mind as a 3-D, fully believable character. At that point, I couldn’t have stepped out of the song if I wanted to. As I see it, that’s very strong writing indeed. Being able to ‘show’ character traits as clearly as you have in this song is a skill that I’m still practising. Maybe one day…

In the meantime, it’s great to have you here in the forum to show me how it’s done!

I totally enjoyed listening to this (a few times).

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024